The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
2/15/2006

OUR HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET

I don't know who I've told and haven't told so I'm just making an entry about it and covering all the bases.

One thing that I know I've inherited from my Grandmother is the inability to segue into a topic. While I do posses a certain amount of tact and like to bring things up at the right moment. If the situation doesn't (or never will) have a right moment... Screw the moment. Just toss it out there from left field.

On the phone with my Grandmother:

Grandmother: Bud broke his back.

Me: What? How the hell..?

According to my Grandmother, his 9th vertebra was "droopy" and 60% fractured. After running a bone scan, the doctors determined they could inject him with an adhesive that would bond the bone back together. In the few days that he was laid up before the procedure the fracture was up to 80%. From coughing...

(Remind me to tell you the vertebra story sometime...)

Bud, my Grandfather has had lung problems for many years now. About ten years ago he put himself in the hospital with a mild heart attack caused by a coughing spell brought on by pneumonia. It's like medical dominoes!

While I would swear that I've coughed or sneezed so hard that I've broken something, he actually did!

The doctors said it wasn't uncommon for seniors to have this happen. Yet I've never heard of anything like this before.

The "gluing" took place on Monday and everything went smoothly. It is a simple procedure, relatively speaking. They are weening him off pain pills and he's not allowed to drive for a while. He is also banned from using any type of heavy machinery where he'd be exposed to a lot of shaking. So he can't mow the lawn or till his garden. Which, at 85 he probably shouldn't be doing anyway...

Which brings up the next bomb my Grandmother dropped.

Grandmother: We're selling the house.

Me: What? How the hell..?

She explained that between how he won't be able to keep up the outside of the house and she is tired of having to keep up all the inside they are looking to move into a smaller place. Presumably an apartment.

I totally understand their reasons. Even if I could be there every weekend to help out they still prefer to sell it. My goal is to make sure that they find a place that is suitable and is going to meet there needs.

It's a sad moment for me. This is the house I lived in for over 20 years. It's my childhood home. I haven't lived there in almost 9 years, but it's a sentimental loss. I'll still have the memories. While I know this isn't really about me, I'd be lying to say that I'm super-excited to think that someone else will be sleeping in my old bedroom. There is a big emotional attachment.

I will be glad to see my Grandparents in a place where I know they are safe(r). Their home has steps that I worry about them having to climb daily. There is no way around it. The laundry is downstairs. For a time when my Grandfather couldn't make it upstairs my Grandmother was taking food down to him. She was going down one step at a time, will putting a tray of food one each step.

Those stairs are my biggest worry. Being an hour away is good and bad. I can get there in no time if they need some help with something minor. If something serious happens though, I'm not just next door. So it will be a nice peace of mind to find a place where all their needs are on the same floor.

There are a couple senior type hosing communities in their home town. They aren't looking for a nursing home. Just something smaller and residential.

It'll be a big adjustment for them. I hop they understand how big of one it will be.
I posted this @ 2/15/2006 01:00:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.