The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
1/25/2006

SWEET SURRENDER

Serenity C+... I'm sure I am not in the majority when it comes to people who loved this movie. Netflix had it 'pre-rated' as 4.5/5 Stars. I'm not sure I see it. This really isn't a glowing way to start off what is actually a positive review. I know... Then again I know why I didn't wet myself when I heard they were making a movie based on the TV show Firefly. I never watched the show. Not once... Well I take that back. I think I watched maybe a half-hour of it. Then again, it was just on as background noise and I really wasn't paying attention. I know those people who were (and still are) huge Firefly fans. I wanted to be, but I just couldn't do it.

So the movie itself... You can watch this movie without watching the series and you'll know what's going on. I would say I'm proof of that. I would also offer up myself as proof that you'll be missing out on a ton of backstory that will make you understand these characters motivations.

I can't really say much about the casting of this movie because these are characters from the show. So they pretty much had to go with these actors. That's fine. I liked Wash in a dorkily cute O'Malley sorta way.

If I'd watched the show, I'm sure there was a huge build up to why Mal's girlfriend left him and why she was such sight for sore eyes when she returned in the film. All the characters had this dysfunctional family feel to them. Not in the same way that I'd say the crew of Star Trek Voyager did. You could tell they'd seen a lot of bad shit in their day and there was a lot that they had to be thankful for.

The special effects were good, but I can't remember being really wowwed by anything that was shown. The story was good. I don't know if the existence of River Tam and other like her was built up in the series either. See... all these 'questions' that you could get by not knowing and still watch the movie, but it'll still make you wonder.

I won't give away the ending, but I will say that it seemed abrupt. It seemed like all the suspense they created about who might live and die was just magically resolved. Because let me tell you... there are some seriously injured people. And if you love any of them you will be seriously wondering who will make it out alive.

If you loved the series, then hopefully you watched it on the big screen. I'm sure you appreciated it. If not... then you were fine to wait till it came out on DVD. It's a good rental, but probably only serious fans want to own it.
I posted this @ 1/25/2006 01:42:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.