The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
1/11/2006

I'M TO SEXY FOR MY SHIRT

Students at a local high school were planning a protest this past Monday to show their disapproval in the school dress code of wearing ripped jeans. I find their desire to stand up for something they believe in admirible and a little idiotic as well.

I remember beign a part of a class meeting in regards to some 'protest' when I was in high school. God only knows what we were upset about. I'm sure it was nothing in the grand scheme, but at the time I recall one girl in particular being rather outspoken. Damn... I wish I could remember what it was. I'm pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with clothing. I'm guessing it might have been something to do with a teacher.

As part of my job I visit a handful of school each fall. Each school has their own culture and their own idea of what is acceptable and what is a punishible offense. Even in the same school district there is a lot of variation from school to school within that district.

Personally, I think there are certain standards that should be followed when it comes to school apperance. I'm not a fan of uniforms, but I do think that there should be a dress code. If an outsider was to visit your school, I'd hope that they would walk away with a good impression. If how the students dress contributes to that impression then why not enforce a reasonable dresscode.

1) Pull up your damn pants. No one wants to see your 'manties'.
2) Have some esteem about the way you look. Whatever your style is, at least wear clothes that are in good condition.
3) Do not wear clothing with inappropriate or insensative writing/logos on it.

When I was in high school (I'm just going to go ahead and own up to my 'fogey-speak') the big thing people got busted for was wearing t-shirts with beer advertisments. The Budweiser Frogs were big. The punishment was to turn the shirt inside out or in some cases they had to go home and change into more school appropriate clothing. Detention went with some cases.

In college, there were certain standards, but it was certainly more open for students to wear whatever they wanted. It was more dependent on the teachers and their tolerances. The most 'colorful' shirt I can recall seeing bore the phrase "Silly faggot. Dicks are for chicks." Classy... I'm sure you're a big hit around the dorm and with the ladies. Alcohol related shirts were common and no one had any issue with them by this point.

In a way I wish they had instituted a rule where you had to dress for the weather appropriately. There were two constant offenders. One was a large football player who wore tennis shoes, gym shorts, and a huge puffy Starter jacket all Winter. He never complained of being cold, but he would sit in class and rub his legs till the feeling came back to them after walking from class to class. The other offender was a teacher who always wore a slacks, a buttoned-up shirt, and a cardigan no matter what the weather was outside. Hot or cold... it was always the same amount of clothing. He said it was all mind over matter. Which is... bullshit. Don't claim it's mind over manner then have three oscillating fans going in your classroom because you're too Zen to take off your sweater, because you're hot!

When I worked in a group home, if I was present for when the boys left for school one of the main goals was to make sure they were dressed appropriately for the weather and that they had a belt. The big thing was (and still is) to wear their pants hanging clearly past their ass. (See #1 Above) We were also to be on watch for pant legs eign rolled up on only one leg. A typical sign of gang affiliation. There were a lot more subtle things to keep an eye on, but those kids at least looked decent.

So these students around here... I think it is great that the organizers of such a protest have such convictions in how they want to live and behave and dress that they would go to such lengths. Yet, if any of them would've read the school handbook they would've read where it was clearly outlined that such clothing was not proper attire. It was not a 'new' rule they decided to spring on anyone. It's been on the books for a while.

Besides... We all know you have thighs, knees, and asses. Does anyone really need to be reminded by looking through the remenants of Jnco shredded threading? When I was your age we left a little up to the imagination. (Once again owning up to the fogey-speak)
I posted this @ 1/11/2006 10:48:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.