The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
2/13/2006

I DREAMED OF A CIRCLE

So the Olympics are going on... Typically I enjoy the Olympics. Yet, I'm realizing that maybe it's the Summer Olympics that I actually enjoy. What I'm finding out I don't enjoy is typing the word Olympics over and over.

The opening ceremonies were on Friday. I recorded them so they could be watched in fast forward if needed. Because... seriously... are four hours of coverage needed?

After reading Jay's take on the Olympics, I know my opinion of all of the pomp and circumstance surrounding such an occasion is almost polar opposite. Almost.

I understand why they show every nation that comes walking in. Each one is important. That I get. I understand there is a lot of pride that a nation has when they host. That's great! It's no small under taking to make sure everything is ready. From event locations, to housing, to security... It's a mini world summit every couple of year for some nation.

I have a hard time with understanding all the symbolization that goes into creating an opening ceremony. Thankfully I have Bob Costas to explain it to me like I am in remedial poetry 101. Because, that's what I need.

I can get pretty basic enjoyment from such shows. The music is typically a nice attraction. The beauty and pageantry is nice. Yet... I'm not sure if I was supposed to get any deeper meaning from a tuxedo-ed dancer striping down to become some kind of albino fish man.

What was with the cows and the mooing? I'd associate a lot of things with Italy, but I didn't get the cow reference. I understood the Botticelli reference with the "Birth of Venus" in the shell. The acrobats forming a dove in midair was impressive.

There was a pretty impressive line-up of notable figures for such an event. There were a lot of activists present. Peace activists. Equal rights supports. Noble Prize winners. And then Sophia Loren...

Being completely catty for a moment... Sophia Loren is an acting legend! She looks like she has had so much plastic surgery, they warned her to stay away from the torch when it was lit, so she wouldn't melt. It was kind of scary.

Speaking of torches... One of the highlights that I do look forward to with each Olympic ceremony is 'how' they light the torch. This year was no exception. The pyrotechnics that were used were very impressive. Fountains of sparks sprayed in domino-style formations all around the stadium before finally making it's way up to the torch. The torch itself is a helix-esque tower of metal and flame. That was impressive. I'd bet the heat that came off from all that fire was immense.

I haven't watched any of the coverage of the actual sporting events. I did read that the networks were going to do less competitor spotlights in favor of showing the actual competitions. Then they would toss nuggets of knowledge about the athletes at us during the event. Their reasoning? Americans were getting bored. The stories were formulaic and there was a shift back to the competition.

If you are watching, I hope you enjoy it. Tell me who wins.
I posted this @ 2/13/2006 05:42:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.