The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
7/16/2007

I'M A HETERO. SEXUAL. HETEROSEXUAL MAN.

I have a problem with stereotypes. I know I've discussed this before, but I think it is worth revisiting. Shows like Queer Eye For The Straight Guy have been around for a while now. It's not uncommon to have a talk show with a gay correspondant talking about fashion or design or how to throw sexy parties. I can see the appeal. Perhaps "fun gays" are less threatening to television audiences because you don't have to think about them going home to their boyfriends/partners/husbands and 'disrupting morality' four times over the weekend.

I don't say this and pretend that I don't enjoy shows like What Not To Wear. I understand there is a fine line of hypocrisy that I am walking here. I am still processing this, but I think my issue is people flaunting their gayness for the sake of popularity.

Exhibit A: Ask A Gay Man

Is Willam Sledd funny? Yes. He has his fashion opinions which are presented in a very entertaining way. But I question his popularity amongst the You Tube crowd because he is funny, or gay, or stereotypical. He's popular enough that he's been mentioned on The View and featured in several magazine articles. This latest article on Yahoo even starts out by stating part of the reason I question all this. "Does the world need another gay fashion guru telling us how to dress?" Are there enough already? If you have to question whether 'another' one is needed I think it's fair to say that some gay stereotypes are becoming a supernova threatening to collapse in on itself.

Would a twink mechanic flouncing about a garage be taken seriously? Would a serious stone-faced bearish fashionista be taken seriously?

It seems like if there is a role to fill that certain types of gay men are the ones filling that role. And I can figure out if it is because what the entertainment industry thinks it's what is popular or if that is really waht the public wants to see.

Or maybe I'm just filling the role of the angry gay man.

Labels: ,

I posted this @ 7/16/2007 09:24:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.