The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
1/30/2007

LET'S TALK ABOUT SEX BABY

Several people have asked how the job interview went, so I figured I'd just post about it.

Simple put... I don't think I could've borked the interview more unless I'd pulled an Isaiah Washington and called T.R. Knight a "faggot" myself. Of course there is a certain degree of hyperbole involved when I say that, but I think you get the point. It didn't go well.

A little bit about what the job was... I would've been a 'recruiter' of sorts for an organization that works primarily with the gay population and also HIV/AIDS prevention. It would've involved going into the public, educate people about safe sex, and recruit other to then go out and do the same thing. Pay it forward, if you will.

I am good at selling myself as a competent and organized person who can do a good job, when given the chance. I can't charm. So I rely on sincerity and knowledge to get my point across about my abilities. What they were looking for was definitely someone who was outgoing and had more working knowledge about AIDS than I do. My knowledge is passable. I know what I need to know to be safe. I don't feel confident enough in any ability of my own to go into the public and start 'preaching' anything tho. I'm certainly not outgoing enough to do so. I can be outgoing when it comes to groups of people I know. Yet, that is in a different way.

The interview involved many direct and indirect questions about sexuality (mine and others), drugs, AIDS, safe sex, work experience, skills, conflict resolution, strength & weaknesses. They asked what my involvement with the gay community was. Which was the subtle way of asking if I was gay. I'd heard that while they don't (and can't) give preference to gay applicants, they do see it as a 'plus' when working in such a job. Which I can understand... There was a condom demonstration. Which in the heat of a moment is one thing, but in a job interview with two 50-year old or more women, really threw me for a loop.

I always have hated the question about what I'd offer them in a job as compared to any other applicant. While I know it's coming, I think it's a bullshit question about what you see as your strength and uniqueness that no one else can bring. It goes back to me being charming. I'm sincere. It's like what you might see on a reality game show where they'll ask one contestant why the other person shouldn't win. It seems like a back-handed way of trying to see your bad side.

I've learned a couple things about myself that sort of bother me. While I consider myself pretty open, I guess I am more prudish than I thought. Which isn't a bad thing, but there is a certain naivety that I still have. Secondly, I don't feel I know enough about HIV and AIDS. I feel less 'big-city' and more 'bumpkin' in moments like when my ignorance is exposed. At least not as much as I think I should. There are a lot of things in the world that a person can worry about. Lifestyles. Priorities. Personality. They all play a part in what we choose to concern ourselves with. Overall, I think I should be more concerned than I am. There are ways to rectify this... increase my knowledge and awareness. Yet, no one likes to have their ignorance exposed. Especially in a job interview.

Labels: ,

I posted this @ 1/30/2007 10:57:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.