The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
2/17/2006

I WRITE THE SONGS

While I wouldn't consider myself a writer, I would say that I like to write. I enjoy the idea of something you've said having an impact on someone else. Which is pretty much setting myself up for the Anvils of Irony being hoisted high above my head poised to drop after I finish this entry and you all realize I can't write.

When I was in high school I took a writing class that was intended for seniors. I was a junior at the time. I felt that this made me special somehow. As if she had some insight to know that I could be a great writer.

Before this class I had already tossed around ideas of a few short stories I wanted to write. When the assignment came up to write a short story I was thrilled. We'd write it, then makes copies for everyone in the class to read. I was scared and thrilled. What might someone say about what I've created? Would they like it? Would it bomb?

During the time that we were working on our masterpieces our teacher mentioned how every year that she's given this assignment people always write about death. The whole class was morbid. Someone died in every story. She hoped to see something different that year.

My story had a death in it. It was a childhood friend who had passed away from a heart defect. I had convinced myself that my story was different. Sure, there was someone who dies in it, but they weren't killed. I wasn't writing the next great Agatha Christie mystery novel.

So when the time came to present our stories, I found that many had written such things. Death everywhere! It was crazy. There was always a justification for why they wrote about such a topic even after our teacher has strongly recommended we branch out.

The story got a decent grade. Nothing that was going to rocket me to the top of the Best Seller's List.

Later I wrote a couple stories based on my favorite television show at the time, The Highlander. In some ways they could be called fan fiction, but they weren't 'technically' fan fic. I used my real life people as models for the characters in the story. I was pleased with how they turned out. I submitted them to a coupe sites that had collections that others had written. They were decently received, but not well liked because the characters in the story weren't ones that were already established in everyone's mind. It was more difficult to enjoy a new character when you were hoping to see how someone else might write about the lead actors from the show.

Mike and I tried our hand at comic books. We drafted a few characters. We came up with some backgrounds and possible story lines. I don't know that we every actually finished an 'issue'. It was still fun!

Later, our comic idea evolved. We tried our hand at web-comics. This lasted significantly longer than our idea for a comic book. Comic strips are easier to write and draw (speaking for Mike). For me it took less to come up with an idea for a single comic strip as it did a multi-issue comic book. We made at least fifty comics. Some of which I think are very funny! Funnier than stuff that gets printed in today's newspapers.

This blog is an exercise in writing. Whether it is a long-winded explanation of a situation in my life or a quick comical story. There is plenty of opportunity to write. With the Internet and blogging there is always someone willing to read what you've wrote, no matter how brilliant or craptacular.

In an attempt to 1) practice my writing ability 2) make some sections of this blog site more concise I've changed a few things around. To the right there are now headings that will direct you to my movie and music reviews. I think that is a great way to practice my writing, as well as be somewhat informative about something I enjoy.

Many of the blogs I link I enjoy not only because of what is written, but also 'how' it's written. I read them in the hopes of feeling inspired to write my own brilliant pieces.
I posted this @ 2/17/2006 01:16:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.