The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
1/02/2009

EAT IT. JUST EAT IT.

The new year is here and with comes the promise of change. Well it's not exactly a promise. People make resolutions all the time and never keep them. I haven't even considered making a resolution. What I have been thinking about doing is watching what I eat. Or that might just be the fact that for the last week I've been inundated with MSNBC articles and TV report about weight loss. Hell, I even sat around and watched a Biggest Loser marathon on TV the other day.

Mark, when you read this you can skip the next couple of paragraphs. You've already endured my bitching about this.

Allow me to spout off about this show for a moment. I'm so conflicted about The Biggest Loser. I think it's great that these people want to make changes in their lives. I find it kind of cruel that they make it a competition. Let's reward someone for losing a lot of weight in a relatively short time. It kind of seems unhealthy to lose so much in such a time. I know they are monitored by health care professionals, who I'm sure only have the best of intentions for the contestants, and not just wanting to make sure no one does serious damage to themselves or dies (which is seriously damaging itself). God forbid anyone sues because of injuries sustained on the show.

Plus there is game play involved. Toying with your weight so your team loses and you have the potential to send someone home. Purposely gaining weight for the sake of winning money on a show just rubs me the wrong way. I question some of the motivations of these people. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to do this show, but as long as they are doing it for the right reasons. Get healthy. Learn better habits. Don't fuck with your body just for the sake of a game.

I used to fence. When I did, part of my warm up was to run the halls and stairs of the school we had practice in. I can recall my progress over the course of the few years that I did this. A lap consisted of running the halls of one floor, up two flights of stairs running the halls of the upper floor, back down the stairs to where I started. Rinse. Repeat. At first, it was difficult to to make one lap of the building. By the end of my stint there I was able to do at least 3 or 4 such laps and not feel like I was going to die. I miss that feeling. I know my stamina for running such distances has decreased. But then again I've always been a sprinter, not a long distance type runner.

I can make whatever excuses in the world about not exercising. Weather. Time. Motivation. But what about food. I love to cook. What about cooking healthier. I know some good recipes, why don't I make them? Good question... And not one that I can really answer. The 'easy' answer convenience. After working 12 hours, I don't typically feel like coming home and cooking. It's easier to swing by a drive thru and pick up something. Or hit the grocery store and grab a frozen something or other.

I'm a picky eater, but not so picky that I couldn't find something fast and easy that is also healthy. I try and make some easy changes here and there. Maybe it's a brand choice. Maybe it's simple switch from white to wheat. Maybe it's making something from scratch and being able to control the ingredients.

I am more a fan or portion control. Eat what you want (within reason), but just less of it. Also, snacks... and sweets... I'm a snacker, but I should be more conscious of what I snack on. I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I rarely crave a sugary finish to my meals.

So why mention any of this? Is this a resolution that just isn't phrased as one... or maybe it's a long winded one? I can't say for sure. I'm just very conscious of it now. This is what watching a marathon of The Biggest Loser while eating Wing Stop will do to a person.
I posted this @ 1/02/2009 05:00:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.