The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
11/24/2008

PRIVATE EYES ARE WATCHING YOU

I was recently listening to a podcast and they were discussing how much you are out on the internet. I don't mean out of the closet necessarily. I started me thinking about a few different things. How much do you put yourself out there online for others to see?

Between social networking sites like MySpace and any number of personal blogging sites, and now even micro blogging... The minutia of peoples lives are out there for everyone to experience.

Does anyone care? Does anyone really notice? I know I have people that read this blog that don't comment. I don't expect them to. I write this knowing exactly where it is going and who might see this. I put pictures on Flickr knowing that they are easily accessible to anyone who can work a Yahoo search. But the thing is, I don't put things out there that I don't intend for people to NOT see. Otherwise, why bother?

I haven't talked to my little brother in a long time. I miss him and the rest of my extended family dearly. I've sent links to Flickr photos to him, as well as my Mom & Dad. I can only presume they've looked at them. That's what they were there for.

I've had an online presence for the 16 years. Can you pull yourself back? Go back 'under', so to speak. I don't think it'd be an easy thing to do. I laugh at what the internet remembers so times. Ghosts of former lives.

I find it mind-boggling that companies might tap into a persons online presence to research a perspective employee; or even a current employee.

In the same way that aptitude tests may not always be accurate predictors or good employees. A persons online activities shouldn't be used as such either.

The internet is very liberating. I've discussed that topic before, so I won't rehash it all here. Pulling back from such liberation isn't easy. And is it even advised?

What if someone was to hold your religion against you? Sexual preference? Organizations you kept companies with? Co-workers treated you differently. Those things might be easily found out while you are working with someone. But for that to be used against you because someone looked you up online and found out what you do from Friday 5pm til Monday morning 8am...

The internet has opened the world to easy accessibility to everything anyone would want to know about you.

Labels:

I posted this @ 11/24/2008 05:53:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.