The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
11/05/2008

CH- CH- CH- CHANGES

I would be remiss in my duties as an American and a blogger if I didn't at least briefly touch on the Presidential election.

This is the first time in a LONG time that the person I voted for actually won. I live in a state that typically leans red for elections. That isn't to say we don't have our moments. Yet, it can feel rather fruitless to cast a vote and know that in the end you are almost always going to be out voted. That's my perception, at least...

Tuesday was a mix of feelings. I'd moved since the last Presidential elections. I had not registered to vote since then. So I was still registered at my old polling place. I knew they'd ask for some sort of identification of where I lived. My driver's license wouldn't cut it. It was updated. The more I thought about it, I wouldn't even be able to fake it. I couldn't even remember my address at all. I knew it started with a one. Should I even bother trying to vote?

I googled my previous polling place and showed up there. I was on their list, but couldn't prove I lived where they said I lived. I did manage to recall my address with the help of... looking at my name on their form. Way to cover up the answers, Smart Guy. But Alas, no... They made quick work of me telling me where to go, form in hand. I showed up to my ACTUAL polling place and was greeted by a friendly table of women who had clearly too much enthusiasm. GO TEAM VOTE!

Flexin' My Voting Muscle / 140.365 I had to complete a voter registration form as well as my ballot. It was on paper. Really? We haven't learned that we need the fancy compu-boxes that tally everything?

Forms filled out. Ballot filled out. I just voted! Look at me, kids! I'm a voter!

As corny as it sounds I really felt good about that fact that I'd voted. Even if my candidate wasn't going to win, I knew that I'd done my part to try and help. I went through a drive thru to get dinner and the young girl at the pay window had a I Voted Today sticker on. That made me smile. She had to be barely legal to vote and I found it cool that even she voted.

One I got home I was surprised at home much election coverage I was watching. I even told Mark that I'd probably just have it on in the background as I played WoW or something. But TV was beating WoW at the moment. I was watching the crawl across the bottom with results. I was watching the various news anchors and political talking heads ramble on about demographics and turn-out and percentages.

By this point it was looking like Obama had an early lead. I was excited. Mark and I were calling each other back and forth about how he hoped that if his state didn't go blue that at least his county would. I didn't even consider that an option for me. After a while I realize that I didn't even need to get updates. Between people on WoW talking about result and getting all kinda of IMs and texts about the evening, I had my very own political ticker coming to me.

I'd be lying to say that race didn't play some part in this election. Not maybe in the overall decision, but at least in the coverage. He's not white. We get it. Thank you news sources for pointing out the obvious every 10 minutes during your election coverage.

It was a historical night. But not because Obama is the first African-American President. Because ANY election is historical. We just added another name to the books, posters, encyclopedias, wikis, that says Barack Obama is the 44th U.S. President. THAT'S history. We had a candidate with the potential to be elected the oldest President. Sure, we had a woman who was a real contender for President and another who was a contender for Vice President. That is not to be over looked either. Yet when our children hear about this night... are they really gonna care about all the things that we find 'monumental'? Probably not. Because hopefully to them it won't be a big deal. They'll be used to the ideas by then.

The results were coming in. Iowa went blue and Mark was happy, tho his county went red. On the flip side... Nebraska went red. No big surprise, but my county went blue. What? Blue? For real... Now keep in mind that I typically feel like my vote isn't worth much because Nebraska goes red every election. Blue? That's a big deal for me on a personal level, because it renewed my faith in the power of a vote. The two counties containing our big cities in Nebraska both went blue.

I had a part in that. I helped history. I voted.

Labels: ,

I posted this @ 11/05/2008 07:55:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.