The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
11/10/2008

TRUE COLORS SHINING THROUGH

I didn't bust out my tale of telling people I was gay, like I have on past National Coming Out Day's. I figured I'd rehashed it enough and that it wasn't important to do so again. I feel like I should have now. It's a very 'butterfly effect' feeling. Simple little things that we do now can have lasting effects on people we don't even realize we've reached. Maybe reading it someone else might have got something from it.

One splash from a little pebble may not make much difference in the pond, but a lot of little pebbles will make quite a commotion. This is me picking up a handful of pebbles.

This whole Proposition 8 thing has been hitting me in slow motion. I'm not trying to jump on the emotional bandwagon about the ban on gay marriage in California. I won't lie and say it affects me as much as it does some others. It affects friends that I know more than me. But one day that could be Mark and I just wanting to be acknowledged as legally married. So it is something that concerns me.

Thousands in L.A. protest gay-marriage ban

Maybe I was fortunate to have been as secluded in small town life as I was growing up. The only openly gay person that I can think of was a young man who wore fishnets and make-up and seemingly took pleasure standing out from the small town crowd. He was ridiculed, but I think part of it was the fact that he was very flamboyant. And this was the early 90s. We didn't have Project Runway's Christian Soriano, yet, to explain hot tranny mess. By being secluded I wasn't exposed to all the various kinds of hate and discrimination that exist. By living in a bubble, it wasn't until I was older and more mentally ready to deal, that I might have come across such things.

I'm fortunate. I've never been called names for being gay. I've never experienced discrimination first hand based on my sexual orientation. I'm fortunate to have friends that don't judge me. That don't shun me. I have a Grandmother who doesn't fully understand, but loves me the same, but doesn't want to see me with hardships that I can't handle.

The last couple of jobs that I've had I've not hidden my sexuality. I don't start my first day by waving a rainbow flag. Yet when the subject comes up I don't shy away from it either. I have a rainbow sticker on my car. I public display affection. I'm not shy about discussing my life in most situations.

Rights groups challenge new gay-marriage ban

It boggles my mind that there are people who voted that two people, who love each other, can't marry because they are both the same gender. The rally cry is hard to hear clear out here in Nebraska, but it IS heard.
I posted this @ 11/10/2008 02:06:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.