The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
1/02/2009

SHINING THROUGH

I recently read this 'debate' between two vocal gay rights advocates. I would classify either viewpoints as extreme, but I would classify them as extremely different.

On one hand we have the viewpoint that the selection of Rick Warren to give the opening prayer at Obama's inauguration as an afront to religious members of GLBT community. On the other had we have the inclusion of Rick Warren, someone who Melissa Ethridge has stuck up for, saying he has gay & lesbian.

I must admit that I'm kind of over the hype. Don't get me wrong. I think the lack of marrying rights for gays is an offense and something that needs to be rectified soon. But I don't think that having Rick Warren give the opening invocation will do much one way or another. My best friends asked me to name the person who gave the opening invocation when Bush was inaugurated. I couldn't. I doubt that most American's could. The same will be said about Rick Warren. He'll soon fade into obscurity as only a footnote in Obama's time as President.

A main point that is discussed is unity. On this note I agree with having Rev. Warren give the invocation. You are never going to please all groups. But why not have "conservative megapastor" who is in support of Obama to do this? The concern of those opposed to Rev. Warren is that he is is acting on behalf of everyone in calling for God's assitance. Yet he doesn't acknowledge gays and lesbians as spiritually whole.

I don't dispute that. But again... There is no way that one person can represent all groups... all faiths... all viewpoints. Not everyone will agree with whomever would be chosen. Sometimes I think the idea is who can we pick that would be the best choice, but also piss off the least amount of people. I fully admit I'm not a religious person so that I see how some might say, "well of course having a pastor who has the same beliefs and ideals" wouldn't be an issue for me.

I think this whole election year has been about finding common ground. I am hardly an extremist when it comes to such things. I want the same freedoms and liberties as everyone else. Do I think that having this man give a prayer is going to be the downfall of gay civil rights? No. Could that have picked somebody different, somebody better? Maybe. But I think that really... no one will remember this event for this man. To think that this is a bigger issue that the inauguration itself... It's a shame.


Gay Rights 2.0
I posted this @ 1/02/2009 04:52:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.