The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
6/24/2008

POPULAR! YOU'RE GONNA BE POPULAR!

"I'll teach you the proper ploys when you talk to boys. Little ways to flirt and flounce. I'll show you what shoes to wear. How to fix your hair. Everything that really counts"


Looking back on my high school years I know I wasn't popular. Our class had cliques and social groups that ran with each other. Yet, I don't think any of the groups really clashed over popularity. Everyone was kind of chill. Doing their own thing. I had (and still have) a great group of friends. I didn't feel like I had to be someone else to hang around with the jocks or the Hometown Elite. I may have felt differently back then, but I really don't think so.

I don't recall looking at the other kids and wishing I had that 'something' that they possessed that made it so they never had to worry about a date to Prom. Or never wonder where they were going to sit at during lunch.

I would say there were A-List people in school. These were typically the kids of doctors, lawyers, and business men in town. They were usually in sports and involved in all the clubs. Everyone knew their name, even if they weren't friend with them. If anything, I had a sense of healthy competition with this type of person. I didn't want to be them. I wanted to beat them.

Now look at yourself as an adult. Take a look around at your place amongst your co-workers. Cliques? Social groups? Has the FHA become the group of Soccer Moms that organize play dates for their toddlers? What about the jocks? Obviously the geeks and nerds are running the IT department or managing the whole show overall.

But more importantly, are there still "lists". Maybe it's a list just in your company or on a larger scale like your city. I'm wondering if people are still seen as A-Lists or not in your social surroundings.

It really does fascinate me. The more removed from high school I get, the more I realize that maybe things don't change as much as I thought. We just get older. Does our standing on any possible list really affect how happy we are?

Am I completely off on this?

Labels:

I posted this @ 6/24/2008 08:08:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.