The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
6/22/2008

IT'S A SUNSHINE DAY

It's Pride weekend in Omaha. Which I'd love say means a lot more than it does. I just don't think that Omaha has the community to support a huge Pride event like a larger city would. It's not a 'bad' thing really. I've always felt Omaha has a BIG 'small town' feel to it. This is just part of what comes with the territory.

Some people are all about gay pride. The rallies. The paraphenalic stickers and flags. The activism. I would say I'm in the middle of the spectrum of 'pride'. I have the stickers. I'll go to the parade (when I can). I'll read about related issues in health and activism. It 'is' me, but not 'only' me. I'm gung, but not so much ho. Wait... that last part didn't sound right.

Much in the same way that the Latino community celebrates their heritage around Cinco De Mayo or even Irish around St Patrick's Day, allow me to reflect on my 'heritage'. What I appreciate about my heritage is being able to not be afraid. Maybe it's where I live. Maybe it's who my friends are. Since I've been out I can only think of one time that being gay was really an issue. It was a former place of employment. But I would never be able to prove that it was really the official issue. C'est la vie.

I'm proud to know the people I know. My first roommate, through all his own personal issues, showed me that it's ok to be exactly who you are. Fuck the haters who are too afraid to be themselves. Bold. Brazen. Overboard. I'm not as outgoing as he is, but I'm not a shrinking violet either. An amazing friend in Chicago showed me that you are never too lost to be found. Even when I was so terribly down there were still good people that care. When I was scared about what my life might be like as a gay man, a good friend showed me that being gay doesn't mean that you can't have a family. That you can have the same 'normal' life as anyone else.

As a result of the people in my life I feel I am able to be exactly who I am. I wouldn't change that for the world.

Labels: ,

I posted this @ 6/22/2008 04:46:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.