The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
12/17/2007

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT

Mark and I finally went to see The Mist over the weekend. This is a big deal because since I read that Stephen King story oh so many years ago... I've not touched it since. As I'm sure I've mentioned before it's the only King story to give me nightmares. In my dreams about it, as a kid, I was trapped in the supermarket with them.

In case you aren't familiar with the story, an eerie mist settles in to a small town in Maine. It's origins remain unknown for most of the movie. It turns out there are creatures in the mist. Acid-web spitting spiders. Scorpion-tailed bugs that look like locust. Pinkish pterodactyls. Sound like an LSD trip? Trust me... it might as well be.

Those that have sought refuge in the market split up into various archetypal groups. You have the non-believers. The suicidal. The fool-hearty. The survivalists. The doom-sayers. It's frightening how quick everyone devolves into a more primal type when faced with a life-threatening challenge. It's part of the reason I posted that question the other day about what you might do if you had an hour to live.

While I think it's impossible to say for certain what anyone might do in a situation that traps you... I'd like to think that I'd fall into the non-believers or the survivalists. I've always said that I tend to 'Scully' things. I want to believe, but I want proof. Plus, I'm pretty scrappy. I don't think I'd go out without a fight.

The movie puts more of a 'finite' ending to the story. More than the book did. I think that is part of my problem with the book. In my mind I had no closure. No idea how the creatures were, or if, they were destroyed. The movie answers that question.

While I won't give away the ending I will say... It is a total downer. Seriously. It ended how it had to end, but I needed a pick-me up afterwards.

A white chocolate mocha and driving around the city judging Christmas lights did the trick. But that's a WHOLE other post yet to come.

Labels:

I posted this @ 12/17/2007 06:04:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.