The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
9/04/2007

THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME

Put your iPod on shuffle and write about the first ten songs you hear.

Warning: This is kind of a long entry!

Music for me has been like artwork. I may not 'get' what it is the song is trying to say. I may have a different interpretation of it. I may be completely off in what it means. But as long as you get 'something' from it... isn't that what's really important?

10,000 Maniacs - A Campfire Song: This is one of the first 10,000 Maniacs songs I can remember hearing. Angie would play it all the time when we would work the closing shift at McDonald's. Her huge crush on Michael Stipe compelled her to listen to the bridge of the song over and over. It's frequently played song in my rotation, even today.

Something is out of reach.
Something he wanted.
Something is out of reach.
He's being taunted.


The Fray - How To Save A Life: This is one of those songs that I like for a reason different from it's meaning. The Fray's music being used in anything Zach Braff has his hands on, this song Loss. The break-up with someone you called someone special. A friend. A lover. A fight. A death. A mistake. A wrong choice.

Step one you say we need to talk
He walks you say sit down it's just a talk

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness


The Knife - Heartbeats: There is a cover of this song that is absolutely beautiful. But I suppose that would be writing about a different song. Life has a soundtrack. And the DJ is full of perfect timing and irony.

Ten days of perfect tunes
The colours red and blue
We had a promise made
We were in love


AC/DC - Thunderstruck: It's time for me to come out of the closet. There is a part of me that love classic rock. Arena rock. Guitar-driven. Eardrum-pounding... RAWK!

I remember being on vacation once and playing with some kids at a RV park who were listening to AC/DC. I was young, impressionable. I was also a pretty regular conservative baptist church-goer. AC/DC was "devil music". And how! It was forbidden ear-fruit. (Ear-fruit. Hee!)

It wasn't until later in high school and college that my love of classic rock would really come screaming through. Thunderstruck is definitely one of those songs. \m/


Jamiroquai - Black Capricorn Day: Little Chris and I were at a friends dance recital when I first heard this song. I was already a Jamiroquai fan and this just strengthen that love. Maybe I'm oblivious, but I still don't know what a Black Capricorn Day is that he is going through.


Ben Folds - Landed: This song for me is break-up set to music. I discovered it about the same time I was picking myself up from a bad relationship.

We'd hit the bottom
I thought it was my fault
And in a way I guess it was

...and I did. I was the one who didn't have the balls to get out sooner. The distancing of friends because you were in an unhealthy relationship and they couldn't reach you. But in the end, you get your shit together.

And you will be so happy to know
I've come alone
It's over


Train - I'm Not Waiting In Line: From a 'musicians' viewpoint, I love this song because of the electric piano/Hammond organ that can be heard. There is something funky about it that goes back to why I like Jamiroquai. Playing a bit of piano myself, it seems like a fun instrument to play around on. When you're really into a song and you're just going with the music, wherever it leads.

Lyrically I am amused by this song. A whole song about how he thinks the object of his affection is The Shit. Even then... he's not going to sit around and wait for the guy to figure out that he's crushing on him big time. Conversely, he knows he has other suitors, so why bother waiting around for someone to figure out that he has a crush. Then it's the last almost-whispered coy line, "Unless you want me to."

I'm not waiting in line
And I'm not changing my mind for you
I'm not wasting my time
I'm not waiting in line

Unless you want me to


The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be 500 Miles: A good, friendly, loving, drinking song. Sung for a lover... Sung for a friend... A fun jaunty little diddy that gets me feeling upbeat in no time. I always loved to sing the back-up part during the chorus where the guy just shouted almost every other word or syllable.


AND I WOULD WALK FIVE...-DRED...
AND I WOULD WALK FIVE...-DRED...
TO...A...WHO...A...-SAND...
TO...DOWN...YOUR DOOOOR!!!


Oasis - Wonderwall: This is a song that I loved to play on the piano. Oasis is my emo. Wonderwall is one of those songs that you sing about unrequited loves.


Maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me.
And after all, you're my wonderwall.


Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit: I get a contact high just listening to this song. Seriously... there is very little sane about this song. Unless you're stoned out of your gourd and the universe has exposed it's secret to you... and only you... "Go ask Alice... when she's ten feet tall." Any song that is based on a Lewis Carroll story... well, I think you have to be high.

Labels: ,

I posted this @ 9/04/2007 01:44:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.