The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
9/04/2007

WHERE THE GIRLS ARE THE FAIREST, THE BOYS ARE THE SQUAREST

There is no place like Nebraska. Fight song aside, I do like Nebraska, Omaha in particular. I've always enjoyed the 'big' small town feel that it has to it. On a (rare) political note, my views are probably more liberal that what might be common to the state as a whole. I've been told that I don't seem like I come from a small town. Now... having said that, when I'm in a larger city, I certain feel like a small town kind of guy.

But... I'm getting off track.

When asked about Omaha and Nebraska in general, I really don't know what to say other than it's a nice "'big' small town" like I already said. I can tell you about the zoo. Or the college world series coming here every year. Warren Buffet lives here. So that's something... Omaha kind of blends in when it comes to big-time news and events.

So I guess that is why it surprises me to learn that there was a neo-Nazi rally over the weekend. They actually came from Minneapolis to protest in front of the Mexican Consulate here in Omaha. Seriously? This is how you choose to spend your time?

There were counter-protesters on hand and a separate Diversity Day celebration going on elsewhere. It's times like this that my small-townness comes through. I'm surprised that something like this even still happens. Not the existence of neo-Nazi, but just that neo-Nazi's protesting in Omaha. Would this type of thing even be noteworthy in a large city like Minneapolis, Chicago, St. Louis, or Denver? Or would it still occur, but on a larger scale.

As Mark and I were driving downtown, we were diverted because of the protesting. It's sad to note that I even uttered, "Oh it's probably protesters at the Mexican Consulate again." Because it happens so regularly now. When I first moved to Omaha it was noteworthy to see protesters outside the Planned Parenthood clinic just a few blocks away from the Consulate. Now they are old news. It's more unusual NOT to see them there. It is kind of looking that way with immigration protests now.

Labels: ,

I posted this @ 9/04/2007 11:35:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.