The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
8/27/2007

MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE

So... FINALLY... I watched Transformers. You would've thought I had some sort of personal embargo against Optimus Prime or something. Yet, a month and a half later I finally see it. How could I not? It received glowing reviews from my friends. One of which included a voice mail containing three words (or one depending on your pronunciation) repeated over and over again. "OhmigodOhmigodOhmigod!!! OHMIGOD!! OhmigodOhmigod..." *click*

Mark & I went to our local Googleplex 5000 during the afternoon (which is now my official favorite time to see a movie). We got there decently early, but I figured that a month after it was out, there wouldn't be a crowd. I was right. We were the only people there. It wasn't until the last five minutes before the preview that we were suddenly surrounded by children. Which is fine. Unless you count the one kid behind us who found that armrests moved and made a really cool echo-y sound. Seriously?

Highlight the rest if you want more details and possibly spoilers.

Shia LaBeouf, as Sam, was good. He was dorky and fun. I had it worked into my head that I wasn't going to like him. I don't know why. I even unfairly misjudged Megan Fox, as Mikaela. I think part of it was that they both seemed too teen-movie for what I was hoping to be a rock 'em sock 'em robot fight. I was worried it'd be too little kiddish. This was not the case.

For a movie that was over two hours, there was really only one time in the beginning that I wanted the movie to pick up the pace a bit. This I can easily attribute to wanting to see cars transform into robots. Is that too much to ask?

When the action starts, it really is quite epic. The fight scenes between Autobots and Decipticons is believable in the fact that it was pretty easy for me to give in to the movie. Alien robots aside, you believe the action is really taking place. The computer graphics and special effects are quite believable and rarely, if ever, look hokey. My only criticism of the action sequences is that there are times you'd love to see the whole scene rather than such close-up shots. This isn't hardly a bad thing, because I think that is why I was so IN to the movie was because of the close-camera angle.

The movie draws you in. I was gripping my seat during several parts of the film. Several times I found myself oblivious to what was going on around me. It was only things like the kid I previously mentioned, or the fella sitting next to us who actually answered a phone call during the movie (?!?!) that would snap me back to reality. As Mark pointed out, at least he had his phone silenced... but still. Dude! You're in a movie theater. Did you not listen to what Forest Whitaker said before the feature presentation?!

A couple loose ends... Whatever happened to the second string characters? (Jon Voight, John Turturro, Rachael Taylor, and Anthony Anderson) They were fighting Frenzy deep inside Hoover Dam and then...? Did I blink and miss something? Was that all they were supposed to do?

It was awesome that they used the same guy for Prime's voice. It's instantly recognizable. What surprised me was that Hugo Weaving was Megatron. Until Mike mentioned it to me, I had no idea. I'd be curious to go back and see if I could pick out his voice now that I know it's him.

Sadly, there is an Autobot that dies. Really, while it's sad... I had a hard time really feeling much about it tho. Jazz wasn't really in it a whole lot so I didn't feel like I had any attachment to his character to feel.

I want an air freshener that says Bee-otch! That was very cool!

Have I nerd-gasmed enough yet? What more do you want from me? It rocked my socks off. I will be owning this movie.


Action: A
Plot: A-
Rewatchability: A+
Better Than: Go-Bots
Not As Good As: Owning your own transforming alien robot.

Labels:

I posted this @ 8/27/2007 10:34:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.