The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
7/23/2007

YOU CAN DO MAGIC. YOU CAN HAVE ANYTHING THAT YOU DESIRE.

So what did you do on Friday?

Me? Well, I stood in line with 1000 of my new closest friends to by a book. Or maybe you'd like to think of it like this. I took part in what is probably one of the biggest notable events of the year. If not one of the biggest literal events ever. I stood in line at Borders to purchase the seventh and final Harry Potter book in the series. It's not even for me.

Love is...Allow me to explain. Many weeks ago Mark reserved a copy Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Then just a few days ago he decided to get a copy for his niece who had been feeling down. A very nice Uncley thing to do. His copy was reserved at Borders, but by the time he wanted to reserve a copy for his niece it was too late to get one there. So Barnes & Nobles it was.

We found out on the night of the release party that both places were handing out wristbands to those who had reserved copies. The wristbands would determine the order in which you could enter the building and buy the book. B&N opted for a concise numbered system while Borders went for the colorfully complex system of color groups who were numerically ordered within each color group. Confused? So was I.

Mark took up a spot at B&S and I was at Borders wading through the throngs of costumed revelers. There were a LOT of people dressed up in Potter paraphernalia. A red and yellow stripped scarf here. A pointed hat there. Most people carried wands. Many were in suit jacket-type school uniforms. Pop-bottle glasses. Costumes relating to the book I can understand. Yet, some took this as an opportunity to wear just any old costume they could find. Many girls were in princess dresses. Some came in goth make-up and fangs. Which I am suspecting was just amped up versions of their daily-wear. One goth-couple brought their child and strolled about the store. The mom with whitened face with dark eyes and black/blue ragdoll dreadlocks. A Potter-fan with her camera stopped them and asked if she could take her picture. "I love your costume," she said. I had my suspicions about how much was costume and how much was simply 'Friday night'.

One child was strolling around the parking lot in his sheer 'Invisibility Cloak'. I wonder if I was driving and hit him, that I could claim I didn't see him because he was invisible?

A put my foot in my mouth when I pointed out a man who had only one good eye. "Oh that guy came dressed as Mad Eye Moody," the one-eyed surly guardian in a few of the later book. Upon closer inspection I realized it wasn't a costume... Sorry Mad Eye.

There were a LOT of nerds. Seriously... I'm a geek so I'm not trying to distance myself in anyway. I'm just saying... There were a LOT of nerds. Literary nerds at that. Perhaps it was the store location, but there was definitely a Carnival Of Souls feel to the place.

As Midnight approached, Borders strategy began. Based on your colored wrist band we were grouped into various sections of the store (or outside the store as I was). Due to not knowing the wristbands were being used until the last minute, I ended up in the last group to get a book. This was good and bad. Ok well mainly bad. But it was at least entertaining which was sorta good.

In line, in front of me was a young mom and her two children. The oldest of which was about 4th grade. The younger girl couldn't be bothered to stand for more than five minutes at a time and frequently looked for places to sit. Curbs. Vehicle bumpers. Her mothers feet. In the meantime the older boy quizzed the local area of the line if we thought Snape was a good guy or a bad guy. "I'm not buying it for me. I don't even read Star Wars." He was not amused.

Even better was the impish moppet in line behind me. Her parents gave her a chai to drink, not foreseeing the possible side effects of sugar on a four year old. This played out most comically when her older brother began talking about his friends love of rap music. The little girl chimed in, "He also like naked Barbies." The mom stifled a laugh and shushed her. "Yeah, you don't need to tell us about that." The little girl followed up with, "Why Mom? It's ok. I'm not telling family secrets this time."

Uh... Ok. Now I'm curious. Because you know this has been an issue before. And what family secrets was she telling? Out of the mouths of babes...

I procured a couple Borders-brand glow sticks along the way. Because nothing says bookstore rave like a Borders glow stick. Now all I need is to snort a line of coke off a David Sedaris hardback and I'm set. Bring on the party boys!!

The crowd was too much for one woman who was taken away by ambulance before the book even went on sale. Can you imagine waiting so long only to be carted away before you can even get a book. Was it worth it? As she was led out by EMT's I tried to see if she had a better color wristband. Maybe I could get it from her.

While I waited, people were driving by saying where you could buy books with no waiting. Nearby grocery stores, mainly... But without anyway to be sure, I wasn't about to lose my place in line. One woman in line commented that she didn't care if you could get it somewhere else. She was there for the experience. To a certain extent I agree with her. While I didn't hold the book to the same must-have standard that most of the other did, there was a stranger camaraderie amongst these people. Talking to complete strangers about characters that you've read about over the past ten years. Pets have been named. Kids bedrooms have been decorated with Potter posters. Some of the kids in line weren't even born when the first book came out.

Then it became clear that my place in line was just a red herring. Our 'group' was really just a single file line. We were told that on our colored bracelets were numbers and we'd enter the store by numbers. Seriously? Apparently they tried the straight forward numbering system last book and it was a mess. Considering Mark had his book and was back to Borders before I was even IN the store... I'm thinking the numbering system might not have been a bad idea.

Love is...Once inside, it was like a rat maze. Follow the line on the floor up the stairs and cross the path of people going down the stairs. Creating misdirection and confusion. Walk around the 2nd floor to the back where the storeroom is. Pick up your book. Head back downstairs. Crossing the line once again. Wind your way around the first floor til you get to the checkout line. Somewhere I swear I hear Benny Hill music playing and Keystone cops running around.

At 130 in the morning I left Borders with book, complimentary poster, and glow sticks in hand. Mark was waiting outside and we quickly made our way home. By Sunday, much to my surprise he managed to go a full 24 hours without reading the book. I know it was difficult for him.

Now overall there were some logistic issues that could have helped us out. Like getting both books at B&N or getting wristbands earlier. But what kind of a blog entry would that make?

Labels: , ,

I posted this @ 7/23/2007 09:28:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.