The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
3/13/2006

IT'S NEVER QUITE AS IT SEEMS. 'CAUSE YOUR A DREAM TO ME.

When you were a little kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? When you were in high school what would have been your "dream job"? After graduation did you pursue your dream?

When I was a junior in high school I wanted to be a lawyer. Once I realized that I couldn't argue my way out of a speeding ticket I knew I couldn't be a lawyer. I decided that psychology would be my path. I wanted to use my experiences growing up to help kids. I wanted to make a difference. At the end of the day I wanted to feel like I'd actually done something.

At the same time, I enjoyed creative writing. I enjoyed art. I wasn't sure that I was good enough at either one of them to really make a living. As I grew older, this blog became my outlet for my creative writing energy. I love photography. Thus, photography became an outlet for my artistic energy.

I don't think I could ever really make a living off doing either of those things full-time, but they have become entertaining hobbies.

After a recent job interview really started me thinking about all this. Why do we let go of our dreams? What changes along the way that we decide that some things are worth doing and some things aren't?

Money. Relationships. Family. Children. These are all possible factors that could have a positive or negative effect on our choices we make. For example, I knew I would never be good enough to write enough to make a living off of. Even though I might be perfectly happy taking photos could it ever been done to significant degree to actual survive. What if I had a child? How much time would I be able to devote to such fancies?

I understand that priorities change. The reasons we change our priorities doesn't mean that the things we've changed them for is a bad thing. Certainly not! I wonder if that is what is meant my settling down. Hopefully the dreams that we quit pursuing are because we've found a better dream to take it's place.

I look at my career and think about what choices I've made. I wonder if different choices would have led to a different place in my life. Would I be happier? Would I be more miserable? Am I thinking about changing careers? No. Not anytime soon.

Yet at the same time I wonder what happened to my dreams. Is it immature to want to hold on to my dreams?
I posted this @ 3/13/2006 05:03:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.