The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
8/17/2005

WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER by Queen

I've had the same personalized license plate for quite a few years now. It used to read LIV 4EVR. It was a reference to the Oasis song Live Forever as well as my love for all things Highlander. Great movie (notice I just used the singular form) and great show. It had it's flaws, but what didn't.

ANYWAY...

Currently my vehicle sports SWRDSMN, which is still an homage to Highlander, but also because I was involved in fencing at the time. It seemed like a good fit. I like it.

When people first saw the LIV 4EVR plate they had a reaction that followed a basic format.

THEM: "What's that say?"

ME: "Live forever."

THEM: "Does that mean something?"

ME: "Well, I like Highlander and it's also a song."

THEM: "Oh? What song?"

ME: "Live Forever."

THEM: "Never heard of it. What movie?"

ME: "Highlander."

THEM: "Never heard of it."


Not that SWRDSMN is any easier to figure out.

THEM: "What's that say?"

ME: "Swordsman."

THEM: "Does that mean something?"

ME: "Well, I like Highlander and I also fence."

THEM: "Fencing?"

ME: "Yeah. Like with swords."

THEM: "Never heard of it. What movie?"

ME: "Highlander."

THEM: "Never heard of it."


I will occasionally talk to someone who knows what it says and has a vague idea of what it might be in reference to.

When I still had LIV 4EVR on my vehicle I had a grocery clerk who was helping me out with my bags (I didn't ask her to, she just said they were 'required' to help). She commented, "Live forever. You know through Christ is the only way to truly live forever."

While I didn't disagree, I didn't think that was the moment to explain that it was intended as a reference to a movie where people lopped each others heads off.

With SWRDSMN the comments still occurred. Most people can figure out the word and then they draw their own conclusions from there as to it's meaning.

I was in bumper to bumper construction traffic in downtown St Louis when a guy motioned for me to roll down my window. Motioned is too calm of a word for the panicked, almost maniacal hand-waving that was going on. He was on my passenger's side and I don't have power windows. So it was a 'task' to lean over and roll down my window. I thought there might be a problem with my vehicle that he noticed. Why else would someone be trying so hard to get my attention?

GUY: "Are you in SCA?"

ME: "What?"

GUY: "SCA! Because of your license plate."

ME: "No. I fence."

He mentioned something about being in SCA himself. I think had we not been stuck in traffic, he might have asked more questions about fencing.

Yesterday, coming home from work, an SUV zoomed passed me and a guy shouted "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!" from the vehicle. It's hard to tell if he was a fan or a moron. I suppose a good case could be made for both. In a weird way I was impressed that someone made the Highlander connection from my plates. Most people don't.

So to random motorist on the interstate, "Congrats! I applaud you on figuring out the reference."
I posted this @ 8/17/2005 10:02:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.