The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
8/10/2005

DON'T YOU FORGET ABOUT ME by Simple Minds

I've often said that life should have a soundtrack. I've always been a huge music fan as long as I can recall. There are some songs that when I hear them I can recall specific moments in time that I've associated with certain songs. So I thought I would occasionally recount memories associated with some of my favorite songs or band. Perhaps other people will be inspired to do the same.

So what more obvious song other than "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds. I think most people, who know me, would be able to associate "Don't You" with me.

I first heard the song like most people as part of the soundtrack to The Breakfast Club. I loved the movie. I've been there with the whole teen angst movie and could relate to what was going on with the characters in the movie. So I loved the movie. I loved the music.

The song is prominently played at the end of the movie when criminal John is walking across the football field, while brainy Brian voice-overs the lesson they learned during Saturday detention. The image freezes when John throws his fist in the air.

Every high school has it's cliques. I wasn't preppy. What's the opposite of jock? I wasn't a gear head. Or a stoner. Or a drama major. I would say I was a band geek, but the group of friends I hung out with weren't all band geeks. I don't think the group I was friends with was an particular named group. We always sat by the snack machine. The "Snackers"?

When I signed people's yearbooks or handed out senior pictures, I signed them with the title of the song. I'm sure a lot of people didn't get the song/movie reference. I'm sure many thought it was just the desperate plea of a high school nobody who wanted to keep in touch after graduation. While that was partly the case, it was also what I felt was 'my phrase' to use. Yeah. I was all kinds of cool. I was. Shut up.

When I graduated high school I sat on the trunk of my car and just stared at the school for a while. I left and Don't You Forget About Me was playing on the radio. I drove around for a while before going home. I didn't want to go back to school and sit there for a while longer, but I didn't want to go home either. That would mean it was actually over. I wanted to remain in that moment of limbo for a little while longer.

It was an overcast day, when I bought my second car. The weather looked like it was thinking of raining, but couldn't decide. So it was humid and gray. My Grandfather was in the car with me. As we left the dealership "Don't You" began to play. I'm not sure my Grandfather understood why I cranked up the volume. I tried to explain this was 'my' song. It was lost on him.

I've commented before how I will take the long way home in order to completely hear the song when it is on the radio. I've got it playable on a CD somewhere. Yet, there is something to hearing a song because someone else played it that makes it seem more special. I've got several versions of the song. Cover versions. I think I even have an a capella version by a professional college choir.

When I lived by myself, I would turn the music up way to loud and dance around he apartment as I got ready for work or an evening out. Anyone who saw me would probably think I was being attacked by a swarm of bees, judging from the way I was moving.

I like to christen certain moments with the song. New cars. New apartments. It's like a good luck blessing on the moment.

Silly? Probably. But like I said... I'm talking soundtrack of my life.
I posted this @ 8/10/2005 08:06:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.