The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
8/11/2005

A CAMPFIRE SONG by 10,000 Maniacs & Michael Stipe

When I worked at McDonald's I was frequently scheduled to close. I've always been a night owl, so it didn't bother me to be up till 1am. If it meant I was at work and the people I was closing with were my friends, I didn't mind at all. I'd look forward to it.

One of my favorite people to work with was a friend since high school, Angie. We hung out with the same people in high school and had similar tastes in music and movies. She was a riot to be around. Bold. Irreverent. Hilarious. Intelligent. Some of the best moments I had while working there involved Angie in some respect.

Frequently as we closed, someone would bring in a stereo and some cassettes or CDs. Sometimes everyone would bring in their own music and way to play it. You could have country going in the back while someone did dishes, "dive" as it was called. The shift manager could be figuring out the bookkeeping while listening to R&B. Top 40 or Alternative could be heard up in the front of the store. Everyone rarely agreed what radio station or CD to play.

It was on of those type of nights that Angie brought in her boom box and her collection of CDs. She had a bunch of R.E.M., Pearl Jam, and a band I'd never heard of before, 10,000 Maniacs. Their album Our Time In Eden was out and getting some decent airplay of at least two of their songs. So I'd not heard much about 10,000 Maniacs other than that. I thought there were a new band. I was surprised to learn that they'd been together for quite sometime and OTIE wasn't anything new. More mainstream? Yes. But, certainly not new.

Angie's love for R.E.M. and all things Michael Stipe demanded that she play A Campfire Song again and again and again. It was from their album In My Tribe. It has some other great songs on it, but the one that brings back the strongest memories is A Campfire Song. I always think of Angie and late nights at McDonald's. Repeating just the bridge of the song so we could hear Michael Stipe sing. I unofficially credit her with turning me on to some of the greatest bands I've heard.



his oldest pain
something is out of reach

and fear in life
something he wanted

there'll not be time
something is out of reach

his oldest pain
he's being taunted

and fear in life
something is out of reach

there'll not be time
that he can't beg or steal

nor can he buy

I posted this @ 8/11/2005 10:31:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.