The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
5/15/2005

MAMA MIA by ABBA

MONSTER-IN-LAW - (B) When you see an actor who is famous for their various roles over 10 or 15 years ago, suddenly on shows that are advertised as fresh and hip leaves me with a bad feeling in my mouth. Seeing Tom Poston (the loveable seemingly dim handyman George from Newhart) on Committed was painful. He was out of place and awkward. This isn't about Tom Poston. It's about Jane Fonda. I had the aforementioned hesitation of such a scenario like Tom Poston. Award Winning Jane Fonda starring with Jenifer Lopez and Michael Vartan. What combination of actors could we put together that would be the most unlikely three-some (not like that) ever! Jane Fonda, Jenifer Lopez, & Wanda Sykes! Then let's put Michael Vartan in there and watch him fall all over himself as he watches his fiance and mother go at it tooth-and-nail.

It may sound like I didn't like this movie, but it was a riot! Truly! I have nothing against Jane Fonda (aforementioned worries aside). I like J to the Lopez since her movie The Wedding Planner. I LOVE Wanda Sykes. She is absolutely hilarious in her stand-up. I hear that some scenes she was just given free reign to ad-lib what she thought would work. I've seen the critics reviews and I don't get it. What movie did they see? I don't think anyone thought this was doing to be some kind of award grabbing behemoth. It's a funny, light-hearted movie. Ruby (Sykes) has some of the best lines in the movie. The acting was good for what is was. Like I said, no one is expecting Oscars. Just entertainment. Perhaps the ending is a little predictable. You know what you'd like to see, you just don't know if that's even possible.

The scenes with Wanda Sykes are my favorites. Considering she has probably used both Jenifer Lopez and Jane Fonda as fodder in her routines just adds to the fun.

There are several faces in the supporting cast that you think you recognize from other things. That's always a fun game to play.

It's good that Jane Fonda doesn't come off as 'washed up' and starving for any part she can get. It's good that Wanda Sykes is given free comedic reign. It's good that Jenifer Lopez knows how to act like someone is proposing to her. It's like she's made for that role. She's a harpy!! Luring men in with her song, till they fall in love.

It's too bad they don't let Sykes have more scenes. It's too bad they tried to pass off Michael Vartan as a Mama's Boy. Any more Dharma & Greg-ish and this movie would've put me over the edge.

It's worth matinee price. Maybe even full price if you are all about such fun type of films.
I posted this @ 5/15/2005 02:09:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.