The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
4/28/2005
DOMO ARIGATO MR. ROBOTO by Styx

ROBOTS - (B-) When you've got movies like Finding Nemo, Shrek, & The Incredibles coming before you, there is a lot at stake to make an animated film that can live up to the expectations that audiences have. Will there be something for adults as well as kids? Can we handle the glut of movie related paraphenalia for a season? Can audiences handle Robin Williams as another flamboyant, impish, loveable character, screeching at the top of his lungs? For the most part that answer is "yes."

Maybe I'm spoiled a little when it comes to such movies. I balked at Toy Story until I was forced to watch it one Thanksgiving. It was either watch Toy Story in the basement with the younger cousins or sit upstairs and listen to anyone over 40 talk about their illnesses. The choice was simple. With Toy Story, Tom Hanks and Tim Allen were the stars. There were plenty of supporting characters that each garnered affection in their own way. But you knew who the main characters were. With Shrek, it's easy to picture Mike Meyers talking in non-specific brogue around his house. At the fast-food drive-thru. When he drops of his dry cleaning. As I watched Robots I felt bombarded by big name actors. It was hard to like one character when another was along side, waving sparklers, singing God Save The Queen. Love him or hate him, Robin Williams knows how to find and keep the center of attention. In Alladin he was the biggest name or at least the most recognizable. So it's easy to let him take center stage. Yet, when you've got a line up like Mel Brooks, Halle Berry, Ewan McGregor, to name a few... You've got a lot of big names all vying for that center stage. My attention was being pulled in so many different directions it was like I wasn't sure who to find the most loveable. Perhaps it was the person who tried to steal the spotlight the least.

Ok enough bitching about the cast. There was an actualy movei they did. A movie that I did like. The voices were believable for the characters they played. I don't feel that any of the main characters were thrown in there just so they could have a part. Though, it was hard to watch a scene with Fender and not 'see' Robin Williams, being Robin Williams. Alright! I'm done. I'm done. The story was sweet it that "Let's save [fill in the blank]" sort of way. There are some definite funny scenes that are ones to laugh about on the way home and for the next couple of days. Yet overall I didn't feel as drawn in to the story as with some animated films. It wasn't as captivating as I would've hoped. Any kids will love this film. For the adults taking the kids, you won't find as much subtle adult humor.

This could honestly be an instance where my hopes were too high going in to the movie and I was disappointed once I saw it.

Overall, you could wait till this one comes to the dollar theaters. It's good, but it's not must see. Be prepared for a rousing game of Guess Who's Voice That Is! See if you can guess which character Paula Abdul is.
I posted this @ 4/28/2005 12:38:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.