The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
8/09/2008

WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE

When it comes to the service industry I'm pretty forgiving of most issues. I've "been there, done that" and I know shit happens that is out of the employee's control. Overly busy day. Short handed. Equipment malfunction. Things just happen. I'm finding that as I get older that tolerance wanes.

A couple examples from the last week.

The Express Lane at HyVee usually lives up to it's name. One lane. Two registers. It usually goes by quickly. The other night both registers were helping elderly gentlemen. One on a motorized scooter the other with a cane. So clearly... they aren't going to be moving too speedily. The lady in front of me had three items in her hands, not a basket or cart. None of them looking especially heavy. She is audibly sighing and tossing her head around. Rolling her eyes. Tapping her foot. Just being generally impatient. Apparently her rule is that you shouldn't use anything but cards in express lanes. So these guys using exact cash were going to make her have a coronary. When the second of the two registers opened up first the Check-out Girl beckoned for the next person in line. She was looking at me. While Miss Impatient would most likely take the first register instead of having to lug her three items of irradiated deep heavy water three feet to the open register I offered her the option.

"That's ok. She can go first. She clearly has more important places to be and can't bear standing in line any longer."

She just looked at me and rolled her eyes. A sight I was used to by now.

Last night I ordered a pizza from a hut shaped establishment. You know the one... When I called the first time the man who answered the phone was completely not understandable. I barely was able to figure out that he wanted to know my phone number and address. And technically we didn't even get that far. I had to repeatedly ask what he was saying for clarification. He finally hung up on me. Frustrated, I'm debating if I even want to 'risk' having to try and talk with him again just for a pizza. My hunger wins. I call back and get a very helpful and easy to understand young woman. She took my order and said it'd be about 25 minutes. I thanked her and hung up. This was at 9:45pm. An hour goes by and no pizza. Ok... it is a Friday night, they might be busy. 11:15pm... For real? 11:30 I call them to find out WTF? The lady who answered said that there was no answer when the delivery guy showed up. ?!?! I had been home the entire evening. They always ask for a phone number for just these reasons. No time of when he was supposedly there. And technically they never did ask my address (even tho she confirmed by name by their record of my phone number) so who knows where the guy showed up to. But really.. C'mon. Is one order such a small drop in the bucket that they don't even bother to check and make sure they've got the right place or why someone might not answer at the door?

Taco John's was a poor substitute for pizza when that's what you're craving.

[/end old man rant]
I posted this @ 8/09/2008 06:24:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.