The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
8/25/2008

TRINKT LE CHAIM

It seems like it's been a while since Mark and I had a full weekend together. In fact, it 'had' been. I worked last weekend. Mark worked part of the weekend before. I worked the weekend before that. Beyond that I can't recall specifically... So it's been a while.

Mark and I both worked Friday, which gave us Friday evening to enjoy. We rented a couple movies; the Golden Compass and Prom Night. I'd missed Golden Compass when it was in the theaters and Prom Night might as well have gone straight to DVD for no longer than it was on the big screen.

We watched Prom Night first...

Oh my God...

I'm more open to watching horror/slasher pics than I used to be. Yet, this was a bad movie. This is a bad movie even if you claim it's a B-Movie. For a scary movie, there was no blood or gore. You don't even see anyone get stabbed. All the violence is implied. It was a 'nice' change of pace from what I might have been watching in a normal scary movie.

But as a movie it sucked... It wasn't scary. It wasn't horrifying. There was no redemption factor against the villain. When it ended Mark and I both tossed up our hands and questioned the point of the entire movie. We thanked our lucky stars we didn't pay more money to see this on the big screen. We definitely did not have enough to drink to enjoy this movie.

Saturday we went to the early show to catch House Bunny. This is the latest Anna Faris movie. We both enjoy her and find her brand of brainlessness entertaining. Even tho I don't think she has much range for anything other than a lovable dimwit, I'd still go see her movies. While I enjoyed this movie, I can't say that it was really anything special. The bad guys needed more comeuppance. The beginning was a little slow and I tried to resist looking at the time.

The funny parts WERE funny. I did laugh. Mark and I laughed at a couple scenes that no one else laughed at in the whole theater. Which makes me think the 11am crowd really wasn't mentally prepared for such an outing. Or perhaps this wasn't their type of film.

I'm glad we saw it, but You can probably wait til it's out on video. At least we didn't pay full price. My large soda cost more than the movie.

That afternoon we watched The Golden Compass. I was REALLY looking forward to this movie. Mark had read the book(s) and we both missed out on the movie when it was in theaters.

If you're not aware of the religious implications that some say the movie contains... You won't them here either. I don't intend to talk about those. As a fantasy tale I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The characters were believable. For a child being the main actress in this movie she was wholly believable as an actor who could have a long career. I bought her sincerity and emotion.

Daniel Craig seemed to be billed a big player in the movie, but was barely in it. Nicole Kidman on the other hand was downright frightful. She played the cold calculating type VERY well. The incorporation of CG animals into this film was really well done. It was fun to play Guess Who with the various animal companions.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the ending. If you've seen this movie you understand what I mean. I won't spoil it here, but it was some serious bullshit. Mark assures me that's not how the book ends.

Finally, we gayed it up with Thoroughly Modern Millie. I'd never seen the movie before. Really, my only exposure to this was through my friends.

[tangent]
For a couple years my local group of friends would get together every Thursday to either play games, watch a movie, or catch Must See TV. Several of the gang had 'trigger phrases' that would start someone off on a song or phrase of some kind. There was some phrase that would start a few people singing Trinkt Le Chaim. A song I'd never heard and had no idea what it was even from. More specifically they'd sing one part of this song. (3:29 in to the video)





[/tangent]

It was a crazy ass movie... Seriously... It was fun and there were some fun songs in it. But overall the first half of the movie didn't make a lick of sense to me. And I told Mark as much. The whole show really came together as a cohesive piece in the second half. Am I glad I watched it? Yes... if for no other reason than to figure out what the hell my friends had been singing about for YEARS!

Labels:

I posted this @ 8/25/2008 04:43:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.