The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
7/30/2007

WHOA IT'S MAGIC WHEN I'M WITH YOU

Almost ten years ago the story of a boy wizard came to life in the pages of a little book called Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I didn't pick up the book then because it was a kids book. Nevermind the fact that all the moms I worked with were also reading it. I worked over night. Reading at 3am would just put me to sleep. I wasn't really into it.

Before you know it everyone was reading the damned thing. Then another came out. Then another. Then a movie was tossed in there somewhere. The first movie was good. I can see what the allure was. It was imaginative. Entertaining. Everyone can get behind a basic Good vs. Evil plot.

By now, I'd not read any of the books and they were coming out to much anticipation. You'd stand in line. Buy the book. Read it within a couple days and then have to wait another 18 months for another one to come out. Ol' J.K. really knew what she was doing. Or someone in her marketing department did.

And now the the final book is out. Many already know how it ends. I on the other hand do not...

I just started reading the series earlier this year. I flew threw book one, two, and three. Four held me up a bit. I raced threw five before the movie. Six went pretty quickly. And now I have seven in my hands.

Mark has been great about not spoiling anything for me. In fact he's been a little too good. I can't even ask a question about it. Even tho I know a couple major plot points that happen in book seven, he is unwilling to confirm or deny the existence of such point in the book.

This is not new for us tho. Since most people had either read the book or seen the movies spoilers for the first 5 movies/6 books floated freely on the internet. They weren't even considered spoilers by now. So there were many plot points in the books that I was already aware of. I don't think Mark was happy about me knowing a lot of things before I'd read them in the book. Even though it wasn't my fault. I wasn't thinking about dating a Reader almost ten years ago.

My ability to be spoiled (and conversely unspoiled) is dodgy depending on what the topic is. With television shows like Lost or Heroes I love to find out what is going to happen. Television seems to be rather tricky to predict. So many spoilers about TV shows are way off. Even then it's not so much the destination as it is the journey. So we know that a main character is going to die. But who... and how?

Movies are a little different. The Sixth Sense would've been ruined had I known the outcome going into it. But The Lord Of The Rings was not. You presume Spider-man or Batman will save the day in the end. But how? These type of movies I'm ok with knowing the ending.

Yet here I am with Harry Potter. About 600 pages to go and I am both curious and somewhat carefree about finding out the ending. I think that since I didn't spend the better part of a decade reading and waiting to read these books I don't have the same build up to a grand climax as some. I've had the luxury of reading them all in the span of a few months.

For those curious about a secret from book seven... Check the comments.

Labels:

I posted this @ 7/30/2007 06:57:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.