The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
1/10/2007

POPULAR! YOU'RE GONNA BE POPULAR

Do you remember the scene in The Breakfast Club where the five brat packers are sitting around and having a heart to heart? I always related to Brian and Allison more than I did to Andrew, Claire, or John. Mainly because when I was in high school, I wasn't the princess... or the jock... or the criminal. Even though I've been out of high school for almost 15 years. *gasp*, I'm realizing that sometimes, some people still run in the same cliques and circles.

There are some people that I know who have chosen a career path that will put them in contact with many adult versions of Brian and Allison. There are people that, for whatever reason, never developed some of the proper coping mechanisms for when things go wrong. Maybe they are too clingy. Maybe they are too 'helpless'. Maybe they are too accustomed to having someone do things for them. Either way. I would say that some sort of 'help' is still needed.

A recent situation has come up where a person has been uninvited and avoided because of their needy nature. To add to their issues they are having some personal and emotional strife that is affecting their housing and financial situation. When this person reached out for help in a moment of crisis the reaction they received was icy at best. Eye-rolls and heavy sighs have been the response so far. I take part of that back. One person did 'cave' and reach out in a friendly gesture, only to figuratively roll his eyes and complain when the coast was clear.

Nothing I write do I write without knowing that I have my own hypocritical moments. The irony of even writing this in a post is not lost on me. I would like to think such things are small when you look at the big picture.

I would wager that everyone wants, or has wanted at some point, to be popular. To be liked and to have friends is an easy way to measure your worth. Especially in high school. But what about after high school? Does it matter than your cell phone has reached its limit for phone number storage when you can't name one personal fact about each one of those people?

I recently uninvited myself from a party held by these 'friends' because I felt that by going I was losing a part of myself. I was giving up support for the Brians in the world in favor of the Andrews & Claires. I was a Brian. When I faced a similar situation, that this person is now facing, I had friends there to lend a hand. Whether I accepted their offer was a different story, but I knew that the offer was genuine. Popularity isn't worth having a few more numbers in my cell phone.
I posted this @ 1/10/2007 01:42:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.