The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
11/21/2006

LOVE TO EAT TURKEY

Thanksgiving is one of those holidays that, I think, is pretty divisive for people. Either you enjoy the holiday or you don't. Which I know is pretty black and white, but go with it for the moment. Even if it's not your favorite holiday, or if you can't stand the 'other side of the family', you may still attend out of obligation or tradition. You still go along with it. I enjoy a boisterous holiday. I holiday with activity or at least pulse to it. Some warmth. I think that's why I enjoy the Fourth of July, but that's another post.

My family tradition was to get together with my Grandparents and go to my Grandmother's brother's place (Is that a Great Uncle?) We did this for many years 'til some personal family issues caused my Grandmother some embarrassment. Without getting to deep into it, she felt awkward having to answer question about her kids. (Not about me, surprisingly enough.) While I can understand how she feels I think there is a certain point that you have to rise above it. Put aside any awkward feelings you may have and enjoy the holiday for what it is.. time with loved ones. No matter who it is that falls under that definition.

This year is different, and it has been for a couple years now.

I spoke with my Grandmother earlier in the week and finalized Thanksgiving plans. No plans were made that I was aware of for my Father and his family to be joining us. So it would just be my Aunt and I at my Grandparents. I asked when my Aunt would be arriving. Gramms told me that she wouldn't be coming. When I asked why not, she said it was because she worked until 1AM and wouldn't be up in time.

Interrobang.

I know I'm going off half cocked. Or maybe making more out of this than there really is, but... 1) It's Thanksgiving. 2) 1AM isn't THAT late of a night to be someplace, an hour away, by 1PM. 3) It's not like she has to do this every day even if it is a stretch for her. 4) It's Thanksgiving!

For me, this falls under my personal belief that holidays should be a big deal. (Birthdays included). Celebrations are good. They are fun. Unless you have some medically related aversion to holidays it's hard for me to wrap my mind around the idea that you choose not to be anywhere on a holiday. Is sleep that important that overrules a day with family? She isn't spending it anywhere else. She just isn't getting up for it.

Trust me. I say this having one of the most unusual and dysfunctional families.

Playing the guilt card, my Grandfather isn't in the best health. The reality is who knows how many more he may have. It's situations like this that will contribute to me having little sympathy later for when my Aunt will comment on how much she misses her father. Harsh? A little... yeah. But why not spend any opportunity you have?

Now, I'm not so high and mighty... Don't let it sound like that. There have been times where I could've gone down to see them and haven't. But a holiday carries a little more weight than a weekend, in my opinion.

My Grandmother is too nice of a person to say anything. For her sake, I won't call out my Aunt on what I think is a lame maneuver.

I hope that whoever I find to spend my life with enjoys holidays or at least is willing to oblige my desire to celebrate holidays. Because I want to raise our family to enjoy holidays. Celebrate family traditions (even the silly or juvenile ones). I don't want my kids to someday dread and outright avoid spending time with their dads. Because trust me... When I get old(er)I'm going to end up being one of those cheesily embarrassing dads who makes everyone go around the table and say one thing they are thankful for.
I posted this @ 11/21/2006 07:35:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.