The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
5/23/2006

WAVE YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR... SAY "HO"

I took my grandfather to his auidology appointment at the VA Hospital. This involved driving to NCity to pick him up. Drive back to Omaha, then take him home again. Which was perfectly okay because I like driving. Plus, I got to show off my new Jeep to my Grandparents. They were relieved more than anything. They'd wanted me to get a new vehicle while the old one still had something worth trading for. I asked if they were surprised, to which my Grandmother responded that she wasn't. She said that somehow she knew I had a new vehicle. I am trying to replay conversations we've had to figure out if I would've slipped up and spoiled the surprise.

The day actually went by faster than I thought it would. I was prepared with Gameboy in hand for what could be a two hour appointment as they ran the needed tests and fitted him for a new hearing aide.

Park Your Ho!I let my Grandparents out at the front door and went to find a parking spot. This is where I came across this sign. I'm sure it stands for something a little less humorous, but how could I pass it up. If it does mean something other than the obvious, allow me my humor and ignorance.

(Not to be confused with this sign.)

In the waiting room, we joined the other veterans and their spouses.

Now... How can I put this nicely? Sitting in a small room with 5 other elderly men, none of whom can hearly decently... I almost went deaf, myself. The TV was loud. I could've told you what was on CNN from down the hall. I didn't have to be sitting in the same room with the set.

The gist of every conversation went like this:

VET #1: Where're you from?
VET #2: [blank stare, sometimes followed by a cupping of the ear]
VET #1: Where're you from!!?
VET #2: Sorry. One more time...
VET #2 SPOUSE: HE ASKED WHERE WE'RE FROM!
VET #2: Oh... Nebraska City (or whatever town).
VET #1: WHERE?
VET #1: SPOUSE: NEBRASKA CITY!

At one point all the men there for the hearing test had left the room and I turned down the TV. One of the wives thanked me, "I make my husband watch TV in another room." To which my Grandmother responded, "I make him watch it downstairs. I've got my own TV upstairs."

I don't know if this is typical of my Grandparents generation or not. My Grandmother is not an impolite person, but she's not the type to strike up a conversation with just anyone she is sitting next to in line. If I would've walked in on them during some conversation, I could very easily have mistaken that they knew each other prior to this appointment. Everyone was very friendly and sincerely pleasant. It didn't seem like forced or obligatory conversation.

Personally, I wouldn't just chat up anyone that I was sitting by. I tend to keep to myself at appointments or on planes. Not being anti-social. I just act like I'm minding my own business, so as not to draw attention to the fact I'm checking everyone out and making up backstories as to why they are there. Purely creative. Nothing malicious.

The testing only took about 30 minutes, which was plenty fine with me. The waiting room seats were not comfortable at all. There were no arms to the hard plastic chairs. Such seating arrangements make me fidgety.

The doctor explained that he couldn't get fitted for hearing aides yet because he had too much wax in his ears. Damn! "How much wax do you have, Bud?" We call my Grandfather "Bud". I'm sure my face was alarmed and confused at the idea of so much wax that they couldn't do what they needed to do. Now why they didn't tell us this before we came was beyond me. I would think it was a common problem, or at least one they would be familiar with and be able to handle. On the way home I told my Grandmother it probably isn't his hearing at all, it's the build up of 80 years worth of ear wax.

So it'll be another round of trips when the time comes. Which is fine. And I'll have to remember I can't park my ho there.
I posted this @ 5/23/2006 07:39:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.