The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
5/31/2006

EYE OF THE TIGER

Anyone who knows me knows that I am freaked out by eyes. But have I ever told you why?

[ANGELIC HARPS OF FLASHBACK]

My Grandmother worked for an optometrist. Eye exams were an annual part of my childhood routine. They never bothered me until it was time for the glaucoma test. At the time, the preferred method of this test was the quick puff of air to the eyeball. They doctor (usually assistant) would instruct you to keep your eyes open as wide as you could. This was difficult enough. Add on top of it the knowledge that a quick puff of air was going to be shot into your eye. My eyes would water at the thought of it. I would commence blinking and resisting the urge to rub my eyes. It was an instinctual reaction. I couldn't control it. The doctor (usually assistant) would eventually realize that I was tearing up and would hand me a kleenex to blot my eyes. This would take time and in the end a minute-long procedure could take ten to fifteen minutes.

In junior high school I wasn't one of the popular kids. I know! I'll give you a moment to re-attached your dropped jaw. The trick at the time was to flip up your eye lids exposing the viening under-belly of the THIN FLAP OF SKIN THAT HOLDS IN YOUR EYEBALL! Just the thought of it is disgusting. So, several idiots would frequently chase me around with their eyelids flipped up. *shudders*

As part of a health class, the stablization of foreign objects was studied. One such foreign object was a pencil lodged in an eyeball. And they show it! Can you imagine the person that had this happen to them and someone suggests taking a photo for posterity and the sake of learning...

One summer my Grandmother suffered heat exhaustion and her eyes were googling pointing in different directions. It freaked me out.

This photo actually haunted me for a while. After high school I trained as a volunteered on the local rescue squad. The same pencil/eyeball photo was found there again. That was my weird fear on any call. I'll deal with the blood. Just let their eye be intact.

That scene in Indian Jones: Raiders Of The Lost Ark where the Nazi's melt and their waxy eyes schloop out of their head. Yeah... not good.

There's a scene in Event Horizon that involves eyes. I've only seen the movie once and honestly... I don't feel like researching who it happened to or even the actors name. But one of the main actors eyes are these blackened burnt out voids in his head. Gah!

Oh! Hey let's revisit the optometrist and the eyeball pressure exam. But now.. let's upgrade it. Let's make it a machine that actually TOUCHES YOUR EYEBALL!! I've written about it before, but the short version is I ended up having a mild anxiety attack.

As part of my psychology education one thing I recall is that people who are paranoid have a preoccupation with eyes. Not in the same way I do. I'm freaked out by things done to the eyes. Paranoid people, when given the instruction to draw something might draw a picture involving eyes. Peeking. Peering. Watching. Etc...

Even now... I can't watch people put in their contact lens. I can barely put in drops. It's all about the eyes.

Now the positive flipside to this is that I notice people's eyes. It's one of the first things that draws me to a person. So... I'm going to just end this post now before I sound even crazier.
I posted this @ 5/31/2006 12:19:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.