The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
3/21/2005
HAIR by Hair Soundtrack

I've never had great hair. I've never had "Gee, your hair looks terrific!" I am resolved thatone day I will not have as much hair as I do now, (and that ain't sayingm much).

My Grandmother was a hairstylist for years. After a while, I went to someone else in town. Since I moved I've found a new person to cut my hair. I like the person who cuts my hair. She is younger than I am. Perky. Funny. She makes the usual banter that barbers do, asking about holidays, movies that might be out lately, local events, etc... Typical I hate small-talk. I'm not good at it. So I don't say a whole lot while sitting in the chair unless it is something that I actually have done or have some anecdote to share.

But I'm getting off track... My hair does wacky things. I wake up looking like my hair goes ten rounds with my pillow and lost. I have a cowlick on the side of my head that has a tendency to not want to do anything other than what it is programmed to do by mad scientist at Vidal Sassoon. I will have good and bad hair days like anyone else. So it's not always an issue. Yet to someone who cuts hair, they notice these things whether you are having a good hair day or not.

Knowing this is a possibility in patrons, there are some things that a barber shouldn't say. Or should at least phrase differently. As a plastic surgeon, you want to let your patient tell you why they are there. Don't 'suggest' reasons why they might be visiting you. Same for a hairstylist.

I had just finished working out and stopped by the shop to have my hair cut. I sit down in the chair. I tell her what I'd like done to my hair. She begins. As she gets to where my cowlick is she asks, "Is that bedhead?"

What?! It's five o'clock in the evening. While the chances that I might have just woke up are there, they are minimal. Either way, don't offer theories.

"Is yours?! Afterall it is obvious that you and your shop-mates have all recently learned how to streak and flip this ends up on a head of hair as it is evident that you practiced this technique on each other all afternoon. Your resemblence to a Hair Style Barbie that has undergone a 'small trim' from a michevious sibling is alarming!" Oh wait... I actually said, "No."

It has become a running joke now.

I put aside this momentary lapse in tact on her part and I still go to her for haircuts.

At my last visit, when I sat down in the chair she started off by asking, "Is this the funny side?" pointing to my head.

"Yes. It tells me jokes all the time. Why just before I walked in, it was telling me a joke about how your spoltchy hair color was reminiscent of a zebra or other striped mammal." I mean... "Yeah."

Tact!! There are some jobs that just require a bit more tact than others. She's new. She'll learn.
I posted this @ 3/21/2005 02:42:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.