The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
10/30/2006

TAKE THE LONG ROAD AND WALK IT

I would venture to guess that everyone has at least one or two everday skills that they pride themselves on knowing how to do really well. Maybe you are good at hooking up electronic equipment. Maybe you can assemble furniture with ease. Maybe you can keep a whole jungle of house plants alive. Nothing superhero extraordinary, but certainly something to be proud of. I consider my sense of direction one of these things. From a very early age I have always been able to tell directions and find my way.

Example: In my pre-teen and tween years, my Grandparents would take me camping out to Wyoming every summer. Even though we knew the way, it was my first exposure to maps and figuring out where we were going from a map. The map was something to look at in the car once I'd used up whatever other entertainment I'd brought along with me.

My Grandparents are the type of people that traveled like a 1950s stereotypical couple. The man never asked directions and the woman was the co-pilot giving directions at the last minute. This isn't a dig. Just setting the scene.

Every so often we would take trips to other parts of the country. Usually to visit my Father where he was stationed at. On one of these trips We wee traveling on unfamiliar roads of Southern Illinois. I had described the route we were to follow and promptly drifted off to sleep in the back of the van. I woke up an hour later and we were headed in the wrong direction about 50 miles off course. When I woke up and realized that we were in fact heading the wrong way. I got the atlas back out and plotted a new course. We were back on track.

When I asked what happened I got two stories. My Grandfather said he went the way that I had told him. My Grandmother said that she say the exit for the highway we wanted, but that it come up on them too quick because of how fast my Grandfather was driving. So we missed it. This was just one of many traveling examples, but that's not the point of my story.

When I travel I like to know where I'm going. I'll print off a map if needed and at least have general directions on how to get to a place. When I was first driving by myself to visit my family in Louisville, Kentucky I would at least check the map every time I stopped to familiarize myself with what exits to look for and highways to take. So while my navigation skills have never been truly tested. I have always been very confident in my ability to get around without having to stop for directions. (Yes. I'm typical that way.)

This has been the case until recently... several times recently in fact.

Once I am familiar with a place, I typically don't navigate my street names. I will go by landmarks. Unless the street name is something so unusual that it is hard to forget. This is the case with my family in Louisville, KY. I know to turn left at the Hospital then follow the country roads. I make a nother left on the road that is also my last name. Easy to remember. The problem occurs after this. By the time I have driven 12 hours it's dark. The winding country roads are not well lit and not well marked. I have had to stop and call a couple times lately and ask for directions. but only after driving around for 30 minutes looking for a road that I know. I know what I'm looking for and where it should be. I just don't know where I am in relation to that road. The winding of the roads and the lack of sunlight has confused my inner compass.

More notably was a recent trip to Chicago this last summer. After I assured Lloyd that I knew where I was going. My skills with a map and directions were above average. I had full confidence in driving there. Sure enough. I made it there with no problem. (Other than being unaware of how shitty traffic is on the Skyway.) Seriously! What the hell is up with that road?

There were times that I would come across and exit and think that I could take it and still find my way. But begin my first time driving in the city I didn't want to risk getting really lost. I'd save that for when I was leaving. I knew the highway I was looking for. I knew which direction I wanted to be going. What through me off was Yahoo Maps decision to send me North in an effort to go South (and eventually West). It was counter intuitive in my mind. So as I am leaving and driving South, thinking I know what direction I want to be going, I am heading the wrong way. Somehow I am heading South and working my way East. Interrobang?!


When I called him for direction, you could tell there was definitely a sense of, "So you are good with maps and directions, eh?" Yeah... that crow tasted good.

My latest visit tested my ability to navigate the train system all by myself. Which sounds silly I know. But for someone whose navigational faith had been shaken by the city, it was a big deal. I conquered it and felt more than a small amount of vindication.

Construction is always an issue. I've gone through St Louis a couple times when traffic coupled with construction has been an issue. Knowing where I'm going helps. So I know the way to get where I need to be regardless of what literal roadblocks might be in my way.

I enjoy taking on a new city. I often talk about how some cities seem like they'd be too big for me to live in. While I can't say that with the same certainty that I once did, I don't quite feel as intimidated by larger locales.

Where would you like to go today!?
I posted this @ 10/30/2006 01:59:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.