The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
8/25/2006

YOU MADE ME RICE. I MADE YOU GRAVY.

I know I normally title posts with some song reference... Today's song is actually misheard lyrics from a Billy Joel tune. "You may be right. I may be crazy."

I have a love/hate relationship with pot luck lunches at work. Because let's be honest... free food. What bothers me is some of the questionable food that people bring.

Today's pot luck included half a bin of salad (from I don't know where). Several kinds of dippin's, french onion, spinach, cheese spread. Several bags of chips. Several kinds of cheese. A half-full crockpot of bbq meatballs. Some kind of baked bean. Overall the food was good. Other than the mystery salad...

Ok. Love? Free food. Hate? Mystery food.

Although, sometimes the mystery is better left unsolved. At my last job we frequently had pot lucks. Any occasion to bring in food was a reason to have a pot luck. There was one coworker, who I personally didn't get along with, who was not the nicest or cleanest person in the world.

One pot lucky day she brought in the ingredients to make queso dip. One can of Rotel. One hunk of Velveeta, already opened. I remind you she was not the cleanest person, so the previously opened Velveeta concerned me. As she sat in her cubible she had her crockpot sitting on the floor next to her. She would occasionally stir it's contents to achieve the proper consistency. As she slaved over her crockpot like a Shakespearean witch. Double! Double!

As her cauldron bubbled, she began to hack and cough over her concoction. Not covering her mouth... Then looking up to see my staring at her with my mouth agape.

"Oh, I hope I'm not catching a cold," she said.

"Me too... Otherwise I won't be having any of that." Not that I planned on having any of it anyway.

On another occasion she brought in a seven-layer mexican dip. As she removed the plastic wrap from the already made pan of dip. I noticed that there were at least two large scoops of dip missing.

"My kids didn't like it, so I thought I'd bring it in."

Wonderful...

"I need to replace the tomatoes on the dip though. Because, no one likes soggy tomatoes."

How old was this dip that the tomatoes needed replacing? I presumed it was last night, but I have a feeling it was older than 24 hours. I was leaving shortly, so I wasn't going to be having any dip. However I did warn a couple of my friends at work.

I get a call several hours later from a friend that was still at work. She reported that the maker of dip had already left, but called to say that she was feeling a little sick from the dip and that she hoped no one else was sick. Possibly from her dip...

So as you might imagine. I'm a little leery of pot lucks. Yet... free food.

Torn.
I posted this @ 8/25/2006 01:32:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.