The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
6/08/2006

GOING TO THE CHAPEL

There is a lot of talk about gay marriage. It is the hot topic in DC and other political circles lately. While I'm certainly not one to adequately discuss politics this was certainly a topic that hits home.

The question that I wondered was... "Is marraige a legal or religious institution?"

Which spawns several variations... Are you less married if you are married by someone outside of a church? If it is a religious institution, is it two gay people using the term "marriage" that goes against what they believe? Is it a word usage over a belief issue?

I think it is a good presumption that most Christian churches aren't kosher with gay unions irregardless of the word. If the government ever did grant equal rights to married gay couples they couldn't force any church to marry someone. Yet if the government gave rights to civil unions... this sends a mixed message to me. Like I was telling my best friend, as we discussed this... It's like putting me at the kid's table at Thanksgiving. Seperate, but equal.

Personally, I'm not religious enough that it is a strong desire for me to be married in a church. If a church was gay-accepting church, they probably don't have a problem with marrying to people. But that doesn't mean it is legally recognized.

So then is marriage more of a legal institution? Would it matter to you if you could marry another consenting adult, but it wouldn't be called a marriage. It might be called a civil-union. Would it matter that it had a seperate name? Would it matter that it came with it's own set of rights and rules? Would it matter that it was similar, but not the same to marriage?

I know that all this post is is a bunch of questions answering other questions. But I guess that is what makes debating and discussing an issue interesting. You'll at least have food for thought.

I might write more on this later. I'm still processing a lot of it. But I wanted to at least put this out there as an open topic.
I posted this @ 6/08/2006 09:48:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.