The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
7/01/2005

CANDY EVERYBODY WANTS

So I caught a movie over the weekend. It is the tale of an eccentric recluse who was raised by a strict parent who didn't let him experience some of the normal things a growing boy would. Even though the boy is older he still has some very man-child behaviors, but is loved by all. Eventually there are people who try to steal his secrets, so he casts everyone out and hires a group of fiercely loyal employees. One day, he decides to open his magical factory and home to five very lucky children who get to tour his compound. The promise is made that one very special child will win a fabulous prize beyond his or her wildest dreams.

No... I am not talking about the Michael Jackson Unauthorized Biography. It's...

Charlie & The Chocolate Factory! (A-)

I've never read the book, but I can remember seeing the original with Gene Wilder. The older I got the more i realized how truly eerie the story is. The kids are judged and disposed of in somewhat ghastly ways, but you really don't think much of it because everything is so happy and bright and chipper and oh look... I've got a cavity just watching that last scene.

When I first heard that Tim Burton was going to helm the remake, I was excited. Not hard nipples excited, but... well you get the idea. I've thoroughly enjoyed Tim Burton's other films so I couldn't wait to see C&TCF.

The story begins with usual Burton-esque style. A cold feel to the setting. Exaggerated characters living in exaggerated structures. A child-like, yet eerie soundtrack plays as the voice of the Jamaican James Earl Jones narrates.

I'm sure there were other contenders for the role of Willy Wonka, but I'm not sure who else might have fit the bill in such a movie. I'd want someone who was a little off-kilter. Cillian Murphy was busy. Depp had some very hilarious lines in the movie, many of which they play to death in the commercials for the movie. We get to see a little backstory of why Willy grew up to start such a company. Like I've said... I've never read the book so this was interesting to know and see.

The children in this movie were excellent! They all reminded me of animated mannequins which was slightly unsettling at first, but it just added to the feel of the already eerie feel. My weekend was topped off as I was filling a bag of Jelly Belly's and from another candy aisle a stout lad who bore an uncanny resemblance to Augustus Gloop came waddling towards me. I looked around to make sure I hadn't stepped into the movie. The girl who played Veruca Salt was fun. She was such a spoiled brat (as expected). It's nice to know she at least turns her life around and finds a career.

I have two chief complaints about the movie that I feel to distract somewhat. Deep Roy. The man plays every Oompa Loompa. All 165 of them. Would it really have been so bad to hire a lot of little people to file the roles? Secondly... The music. I liked the Willy Wonka theme that is played when he first appears. It is 'performed' by a few dozen It's A Small World Afterall Rejects. Eerie! Yet, the other songs have been updated to fit a generation. Ok... that's fine and dandy. Yet they didn't seem to have lend to the overall effect. You get this cheery/eerie (cheerie if you will) movie and then thrown in a couple rap and funk songs. They seemed very out of place.

The movie has been a classic for so long and spoofed in so many different ways that it might be hard to watch this film and be objective about it. You will probably either love or hate Depp as Wonka. You'll either be annoyed of find yourself tapping your foot to the music. You'll either feel compelled to go to the concession stand or dentist half way through the movie. It's worth full admission price, and you might even buy a copy for yourself. Since most people already know the general story, there is no rush to see it.
I posted this @ 7/01/2005 09:20:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.