The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
10/16/2007

EVERYBODY STOP, CHILDREN, WHAT'S THAT SOUND

Ok... I know I'm opening up a huge can of worms on this one. So let me preface with this. I wouldn't last two minutes in boot camp of any kind and certainly couldn't bring myself to actually point a gun at someone and possibly shoot them. I can't even imagine what it must be like for soldiers. I am glad there are men and women willing to serve in the military. It is tragic that people have to die for their country. They serve by choice and more power to them, for being brave enough to do so. Their bravery I salute. Regardless of my feelings about war or Bush... I am not anti-military!

Having said that... I don't understand this.

Basically put, Capt. Brown graduated from West Point. Went overseas to serve in Iraq. It was there, upon studying scripture and solidifying his beliefs that he asked for a honorable discharge as a conscientious objector. Since being granted his discharge he has decided to go into seminary school.

It seems like a fine gray line that a person would stand on either side of. Currently there is no mandatory military service required. Let's say, for whatever reason, that I joined the military. After boot camp, and being assigned to serve somewhere, I decide that the military is not for me. I can't do it. Would I be allowed to be discharged honorably? I'm agnostic as far as religious classifications go. So I couldn't say it was because of my faith. I'm not even playing with the gay card.

What makes one situation ok and the other not?

Now before anyone gets seriously bent out of shape... go back and read that first paragraph. I'm honestly not digging on anyone. I'm simply curious how one set of circumstances can be justified and another frowned upon?

Labels:

I posted this @ 10/16/2007 01:26:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.