The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
5/29/2007

FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD

Perhaps I'm being a bit oversensitive about this article, but I do find it slightly insulting to a man's intelligence.

It starts off that way. Insinuating that a man can't handle walking into a grocery store without being on the verge of a mental breakdown.

I've done my own shopping since I've been on my own. My biggest issue with shopping is walking into a grocery store that I am not familiar with. Getting acclimated to a new store. Do I take my time to look? Sure. If I'm in a hurry do I ask for assistance? I'm not opposed to it.

One point they bring up is that when asked by checkout clerks if they found everything, men will typically answer yes even if that is not the case. Here is how I see it. Asking such a question is obligatory and insincere. Even at the grocery store that I shop at the most and with the friendlier staff there it is still obligatory. I'm sure they occasionally get someone who will respond with a heart-felt 'no' and ask where the canned artichokes are. But, I bet it's rare.

I think more people just nod and say yes because they don't want to slow the line. With check cards being used more and more frequently you hardly see anyone use cash, and even rarer a check. To ask a question will cause sighs of frustration from the line. Now, some may not care about that. You're a paying customer just like they are. My guess is that more people are on the Don't Slow The Line bandwagon.

The article goes on to talk about attracting the male grocery shopper. Since guys tend to shop for convenience over price. So stores are looking to see how they can meet the needs of the male shopper.Personally, I'm a mix of both. I like to cook. I don't mind grocery shopping, but I'm also probably atypical from their results.

I didn't see an age listed on the study. They mention men who marry later in life and the rise in households where both husband and wife work. I didn't see a mention of men shopping for themselves.

They talk briefly about men foregoing buying an item rather than substituting something else. Once again, I'm not the best example, but I can substitute something on the fly. Can't find the minced garlic? Go buy some real garlic and mince it yourself.

Overall, I don't think they give my generation of male shoppers enough credit.

Labels:

I posted this @ 5/29/2007 08:34:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.