The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
4/20/2006

HEARTBEATS

It isn't unusual for me to hear new music from a variety of sources. Radio. Satellite radio. TV. Commercials. Pandora. Yahoo.

What does surprise me is when I hear a song that is so good, that has been around for a while, and I wonder how I didn't stumble across this before.

Here are a few musical recommendations.

Upon This Tidal Wave Of Young Blood by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah is quite a mouthful to say. I first heard them here.

I annoy myself when I can only describe music in terms of other music. This band sounds like that band. If you like them, you'll like this. But for bands that you might not have ever heard before, it's the easiest way to explain a band's sound.

Clap Your Hands reminds me of The Talking Heads. More specifically, their song Young Blood reminds me of Burning Down The House. Maybe it's the guys voice. Maybe it's the guitar rhythms. Either way, give it a listen and tell me you don't think it sounds a little like David Byrne.

Next up I must give credit to my new musical sherpa for turning me on to this gem.

I'd never heard of Jose Gonzalez before. He makes the type of songs that I, like I mentioned, make you gasp when you realize you've never heard before. Heartbeats is one of those songs, a cover from fellow Swede's The Knife.

Even though it's being used as part of a commercial, by itself it is an amazing song. A couple years ago Nick Drake's Pink Moon was used as part of a VW commercial.

There is always something very moving about a song that doesn't have a lot of orchestration... Just a guy and his guitar... And has the ability to plow through your mind like a mack truck. Leaving you spinning in it's wake of dust and debris.

Pink Moon by Nick Drake
Silent All These Years by Tori Amos
I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab For Cutie

Finally, this is a song that I've heard a couple different places, and finally took the time to seek out more.

Panic! At The Disco caught my eye when I saw the band name. What at the where now? I'd heard their name a couple times on the radio, but I'd never associated the name of the band with a particular song. It wasn't until it come up as a video on Yahoo Launch that I took notice.

That's the case for me rather often. I'll hear a song and find it very enjoyable. Then I see the video and it takes on a whole new meaning for me. I'm very visual like that. Maybe the video confirms the feelings and ideas I already had in my head. Maybe not. Maybe it completely change how I 'see' the song in my head. Either way it is always a delight for my eyes and ears.

Panic's I Write Sins Not Tragedies is not only aurally stimulating, but the video fleshes out the lyrical story. Punk meets Cirque De Soliel. Good stuff kids!
I posted this @ 4/20/2006 07:27:00 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.