The Comical Misadventures of a Rambling Mind
3/16/2008

IT'S ELECTRIC!!

Some may dispute this, but I don't really believe that I am a drama king. I may have dramatic things that happen, but I rarely feel that I harp on them for days upon days til everyone is sick of hearing about them.

Having said that... Expect to hear a lot of whining, bitching, and complaining about this.

On Thursday I had a note on my door from the apartment complex that said OPPD (power company) was coming to replace a transformer and the power would be out from 930a to 1p on Friday. No problem. I'd be at work then and Mark wouldn't be here yet. So all should be good.

I come home at 6p to find the power still out. As we're deciding what to do. A brief flicker of power gives me hope that things are back to normal. Alas, no... Mark and I decide to go out for dinner rather than bring back fast food. Getting back from dinner around 830p the power is STILL out... I don't know what time they arrived at the apartment, but it worries me that it's STILL out. I usually am in bed around 1030p on a night that I work. So the idea of no alarm clock or my alarm clock losing power in the middle of the night bothered me.

At 10 the power finally came on. But not all of my things come back to life. The computer starts up. The ceiling fan starts to spin. A bedroom light comes on. My cable box didn't start up. My stereo's clock didn't start blinking 12:00. I'm confused and a bit worried. I go upstairs to shut off the light and notice my alarm clock is also out. I try it in several outlets and it doesn't work. Yet the outlest themselves DO work. This isn't looking good. I'm afraid to even test the TV.

I call OPPD and report an issue. The phone jockey says that it sounds like either the breakers might have a short or that it is an internal problem and to contact my apartment maintenance. By this time I'm thinking... if maintenance comes it'll be late and I need sleep before work. I'll deal with it in the morning.

I call in the morning and they come to look at the outlets. I was at work, but Mark relayed the news I was afraid to hear. There was a power surge and I've lost some electronics. My alarm clock, 2 stereo, VCR, cable box, and TV have all gone the way of the dodo. I'm pissed... Hot pissed. But I can't do much at work. I couldn't wait in the 10-15 minute phone queue while at work.

So I call OPPD on the way home. They tell me that it's their policy that they don't take responsibility for power surges. In one of my more forceful ways I explain that if it was an 'act of God' I could understand, but when it is due to work that was being done by their company they will be taking responsibility. No question about this... The guy (who I swear is the same one from the previous call the night before) gives me the Claims Department number. I call and leave a tersely (as terse as I could) worded message. I also left a message on their customer relations line. Both of which only maintain regular business hours. Of course.... God forbid they have customers on the weekends who might have an issue. But I digress...

So this is where we stand right now.

I don't have a TV. I luckily still have a computer and my cell phone wasn't affected. I might end up workign tomorrow, but in the meantime of not working I plan on being on the phone with OPPD getting someone who will replace my lost electronics. I'm under the impression that I'm not the only one in the building who lost things. So I'm hoping they also file claims.

I'll keep you all updated.

And here I didn't think I had much to talk about a couple days ago and hadn't posted in a while.

In related news, I gotta thank Mark through all of this. On the weekends that I work he hangs out here. And usually there is enough saved programs to watch on the DVR to keep him entertained while I'm gone. I'm sure Saturday was pretty nerve wracking. No TV. Couldn't use the PS2 or watch a movie. I expected to come home and find that he'd wrapped himself in the tin foil to keep the spy beams from watching. Instead I find him making a nacho casserole.

DUDE... this is awesome! Seriously tasty stuff.

Not too mention he fielded questions from the apartment maintenance as well. Thanks hon! I TRULY appreciate it.

Labels:

I posted this @ 3/16/2008 06:15:00 PM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?


4124101
yahoo
omahomo

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love
Gay ex-governor says he's too poor for alimony
-Barack’s Gay Balance
Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban
-Where the Bears don't fear to tread
ABBA Melody
by
ABBA PUPPETS

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Mama Crazy" - Pamie.com
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Add to Technorati Favorites!


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.